Chapter 3

Celeste placed her right hand on the planchette, feeling the contrast between Holly's hand that was touching hers and the warmth of it in comparison to the cold icy feeling that the wooden planchette had.

"Alright let's move it to start and then to the center," Holly said as her hand nudged Celeste's as they moved the planchette up to the start and then to the center.

"Now what?" Celeste asked as she looked up at Holly for some sort of guidance on what to do next.

"I guess we just ask questions? Is there anything on the instructions about it?" Holly said as she looked down at the folded pieces of paper that came with the game and shrugged her shoulders.

"What does it say?"

"Just more about the placement of the crystals. Placing hands on the planchette and starting at the start. Ask questions and when you want to end the game you hover over the end. That's it. Nothing else" Holly said as she flicked her eyes back to Celeste.

"Guess you can't expect full instructions for a toy,"

"So are you going to ask the first question or am I?" Holly asked as Celeste scrunched up her face at that.

"Why am I the one to ask the first question though? You are the one that found the game in the first place? And insistent on playing it,"

"Hey, I'm just trying to distract you," Holly said with a smile as she picked up her wine glass.

"Fine, is anyone with us? Or is Holly going to be the one to move this wooden block around to scare me?" Celeste asked as she looked around the room at first waiting for something to happen and when there was nothing but silence turned back to her friend and glared at her from across the table.

"And it was your idea to play this game because?" Celeste asked after Holly remained silent, her attention wasn't on Celeste at all but on the board. And the planchette that they both stopped touching after Celeste's sarcastic question.

The wooden planchette that had been sitting in the middle of the board was moving on its own. It moved erratically from letter to letter, circling back to C.

"Looks like you got an answer," Holly said in a small voice as the planchette continued going to the same set of letters, as Celeste took note as it was spelling out her name.

"Of course it would spell out my name, and not yours," celeste said in a voice she had wanted to come out as unbothered, but the shakiness in her voice gave away how she was feeling. Which was more than unease at this point, but fear.

Celeste grabbed the paper instructions that came with the game quickly getting up as Holly grabbed her back down.

"What are you doing?" Celeste asked as Holly shook her head.

"You can't leave without us ending the game, you can't leave the crystals the instructions said so,"

"I was going to get a pencil, but I guess I could just try and type it out on my phone since you're suddenly so antsy about this. Sounds like you're the one that doesn't want to play the game anymore," Celeste grumbled, trying to play off her fear that was starting to increase.

She stared at the board and saw that the planchette was no longer moving erratically anymore.

"You think we scared it off or something?" Celeste as Holly shrugged her shoulders.

"Seems to respond to you, ask it a question," Holly said, nudging her head in the direction of the ouija board.

"Fine, if there's a spirit here what are you doing? Do you haunt this house,"