Chapter 4: The Deviants' Downfall

Five months into River's pregnancy, she and her husband make an unexpected—and possibly disturbing, at least to the Doctor—discovery, and one that would end up changing their lives forever.

------------------------------------------------------------

Several weeks went by, and, as expected, River's pregnancy was beginning to go into full swing. The first month after the new parents'-to-be initial discovery (which was two full months into River's overall pregnancy), things were pretty normal, at least for the most part. They continued to go on their typical adventures together (and for once, their timelines were parallel with each other, much to their happiness, as it was very rare for this to happen, if at all); though, by the third month, things were becoming much more difficult for the couple. There were several moments when River would suddenly feel sick, or even dizzy, while on an adventure, which seemed to slow her down greatly, and there were multiple times when she was almost killed as a result. Once this started happening, the Doctor insisted on River staying in the TARDIS, much to River's displeasure, as it reminded her of her time in Stormcage; but at least she had the freedom to go around the TARDIS, doing whatever and going wherever she wanted, unlike in Stormcage, where she frequently had to stay locked up in a grody cell all day and night (at least on nights when her husband didn't come to pick her up). This happened for another two months—her husband going out and doing his typical universe-saving by day, and 'returning home' to take care of his pregnant wife by night.

One day, on the fifth month of River's pregnancy, the duo made an unexpected—and possibly disturbing, at least to the Doctor—discovery, and one that would end up changing their lives forever.

"Great news, dear!" the Doctor smiled at his wife as he examined the image of the ultrasound that was shown on one of two monitors in front of him—the black-and-white image of his first child in centuries. "You were right! The gender of our child will, indeed, be a girl. At least in her first body."

"That is great news, my love!" River smiled back, rubbing her hands lightly along her exposed lower abdomen and contently watching the image of her child stirring inside. "I'm so happy for us! Of course, I'd be happy to raise a son as well, but raising a girl is just fine—better, even. I always imagined my first child to be a girl."

"Yes!" the Doctor agreed. "I am very excited! I'm sure Susan will grow to be just as brave and beautiful as you."

"Susan?" his wife chuckled.

"Of course!" her husband shrugged. "That's the name I've decided! It'd be utter insanity if we didn't name her Susan."

River chuckled again. "Sweetie, it's not just up to you to decide what to name our child. That's for us, as a couple, to decide."

"I know. I just thought it'd be cool to name our child...well, after one of mine. Well, grandchild, as Susan was my granddaughter."

"Don't worry, my love. Just for you, I'll consider putting 'Susan' on the list. Maybe I'll ask Mother and Father if they have any suggestions as well. They'll be thrilled to know they're having a granddaughter. What do you think?"

She glanced at her husband, anxious for an answer, but he was silent, transfixed on the other screen that she couldn't see, which showed the child's vitals as well as an image of her DNA. However, he'd brought up an earlier image of his own DNA out of curiosity and compared the two, and the results were unexpected, hence the confusion he was currently experiencing.

"Huh..." he said, frowning as he glanced between the two images. "That's strange... Why's it glowing like that?" For some reason, their unborn daughter's DNA's third strand (the strand that controlled Regeneration) was glowing incredibly and unnaturally bright, much brighter than his own, which gave off a slightly dimmer glow.