Chapter Eighteen

Two booms. The sounds of the cannons bring Ebony back to consciousness. Two people total have died in whatever just happened.

"The hell was that?!" is the next thing that Ebony hears. It's Slate's voice.

Stumbling to her feet, she tries to reorient herself after nearly being suffocated by snow. Patting herself down, Ebony realizes that she only has one dagger and the whip left. One of the knives must have fallen before the avalanche hit. Silently cursing at her situation, the girl musters enough strength to sneak up behind her district partner. Hearing her footsteps, Slate turns around to face her.

"How the fuck are you still alive?" he wonders, scoffing in disbelief.

"I was thinking the same about you." Ebony mutters, glaring daggers into his skull.

"District Two is dead. Thank god for that. I didn't wanna deal with killing them." the older tribute remarks, rolling his eyes. "But now I gotta deal with you. Honestly, I'm gonna enjoy it."

He starts to swing his sword at the younger tribute, attempting to stab and slice her. Still recovering from being stabbed, Ebony is left to dodge his attacks, trying not to make her wounds worse.

Moving out of the way of another attack, the girl watches on, as Slate crashes head-first into a tree. Grabbing onto her whip, she uses her good shoulder to hurl the weapon forward, wrapping it around his torso and arms. His sword falls to the ground, while Slate begins trying to free himself from the restraints. However, the more he struggles, the tighter it gets, as he lets out a strangled yell. Slate must have realized this as he runs back into Ebony, throwing his entire body weight into it. This knocks the girl off her feet, causing her to fall onto the thick snow.

As she attempts to stand back up, Ebony's grip on the whip falters. This leads to her losing control of the weapon, and Slate grabbing onto the opposite end. As the male tribute tries to unwrap himself, the girl pulls her dagger out of her pocket, ready to begin her next attack.

While his back is turned, Ebony rushes forward, stabbing him in the middle of the back. Slate lets out a loud scream, falling to the ground. Pulling out the knife, the young tribute glares down at him.

"This is for Sam." she grits out, stabbing him once again.

Slate turns over in an attempt to stop Ebony, only for her to drive the knife right through the center of his chest. Letting out another guttural scream, the male tribute tries to grab at his sword to no avail. He eventually begins slowing down from the pain, as the young girl continues impaling him with her dagger.

She continues stabbing, even after his body goes limp. A cannon sounds throughout the area, signaling Slate's death. Dropping the dagger to her side, Ebony lets out a relieved sigh, which quickly turns into sobs. Wrapping her arms around herself, the girl rocks herself back and forth.

"I present to you, the winner of the 66th Hunger Games, from District One: Ebony Desai."

A loud, guttural scream resonates around the arena soon after the announcement of her win.