Chapter Twenty-Two

~Three Years Later~

Ever since Ebony Desai's win in the 66th Hunger Games, she has been a mentor for the past two years. In those two years, she lost four District One tributes in the arena. Magenta, Pearl, Galve, and Torrac. They each died at the hands of other tributes.

Today is a stressful time for Ebony, as she prepares for another set of tributes to be sent into the arena. Either one or both would die by the time the Games end. It's just a fact of life. Despite only mentoring for two years of the Hunger Games, the girl already despises the job. No matter what she does to help, none of her tributes ever won.

Disheartened at the thought, Ebony begins getting ready for the day, staring at her reflection in a nearby mirror. As she adjusts the sleeves on her dress, a frustrated sigh escapes her lips. She's trying to make herself look presentable for the reaping ceremony to no avail.

"Knock knock."

The sudden interruption snaps her out of her thoughts, causing to physically jump. Glancing back in the mirror, Ebony spots her twin brother Onyx standing in the doorway.

"You're supposed to be at home." she points out, as he steps into the room. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm ready to go, but I got bored." her brother explains, shrugging his shoulders. "You look exhausted. What how much sleep did you get?"

"Enough." Ebony replies, ignoring the knowing look on his face. Walking over to the vanity, she applies makeup to her face in an attempt to make herself look more presentable. While she messes with her concealer, Onyx flops onto her bed.

"You ready for today?" he wonders, as she begins applying eyeshadow.

"I'm ready for today to be over." the girl states, before accidentally poking herself in the eye with the brush. Clutching her eye in pain, Ebony places the tool down onto the counter.

"Why do you say that?" Onyx questions, crossing his arms against his chest. Letting go out her eye, she picks up another piece of makeup to put on.

"With Ruby pregnant right now, I have to mentor again." Ebony mutters, applying some mascara. "That means that I'll have to watch two more tributes die for the third year in a row."

"And are those the ones who don't listen to you or Kyanite until it's too late?" her brother jokes, rolling his eyes.

"They're still kids, Onyx." Ebony argues, turning to face him. Standing up from his spot on the bed, his face hardens at the thought.

"You're a kid too." he remarks, gently squeezing her shoulder. "Don't forget that."

Without another word spoken, the older twin exits the room, leaving his sister to contemplate his words. After a few seconds, Ebony closes her eyes, taking in a deep breath.

"Are you ready to go?" the familiar voice of Ruby questions, causing the girl to jump in surprise. "Sorry, your brother let me in."

"It's fine." Ebony states, letting out a loud sigh and nodding her head. "How are you feeling?"

"A little nauseous but fine." the mentor mutters, rubbing her stomach. "I'm sorry you have to mentor again this year."

"If Haymitch can mentor every year, I can do it too." Ebony replies, now feeling sympathy for the drunk mentor of District Twelve.

Before Ruby can say anything, the clock rings throughout the room, signaling the time to leave.

"We need to go now." Ruby informs the girl, looking at the time. "If we're late, we'll be in a lot more trouble than it's worth."

Ebony nods her head, following the older mentor out of her room and the house. The two begin making their way toward the town square where the reaping ceremony would be held again. Although she no longer has to worry about her name being picked, she still worries about the poor tributes who will be reaped for this year's Games.

 Although she no longer has to worry about her name being picked, she still worries about the poor tributes who will be reaped for this year's Games