5

"The last rose.. now, I can finally learn the truth about myself." Melody whispered underneath her breath as she held the final rose. This time, the rose was the color of salmon fading to lime green with cyan blue tips. She knew that she had found the heart jewels and the masks to gain access to Esmerelda's dressing room. Sighing softly underneath her breath, she went to the powder room and climbed under-stage, reaching the open dressing room door. She grabbed the two pieces of the mask and placed them on the door.

The heart-shaped covers opened revealing heart-shaped holes. "Alright.. let's see..." she took out the white heart jewel she got when she arrived in her real mother's dressing room. Placing the white gemstone on the 5th hole, she smiled before placing the black heart jewel on the 1st hole and vice versa. Melody watched as the door went away, revealing a mirror. The candles emitted a strange purple light.. he was here. The shadows caressed her skin in a hug as the phantom appeared before her in the mirror.

"Are you ready to be shown the truth? Bring us another red rose and let me show you!" He said, watching Melody's every move. She took out the final red rose and gave it to him. The mirror broke as he accepted the flower. "On that night, my heart was broken. But now, it has been healed once more." She felt herself getting dizzy as a memory came into view, being showed right before her very eyes.

(Flashback)
"Phantom, Esme?" Asked Iris as she appeared on the rooftop, clad in a beautiful gray dress with off the shoulder sleeves, little pearls on the hem and a snake necklace around her neck, matching emerald earrings hanging in her ears. "Why did you want me to come up here tonight?" She added, her golden bronze hair swaying gently in the soft summer breeze. "Our goddess.." Esmeralda whispered underneath her breath as she walked over to the bronze-haired woman and kissed her cheek.

"Iris.. do you wish to know the reason why me and Esmeralda called you away from practice?" He asked the viridian-eyes beauty as she smiled and nodded. Clasping her hand in his own, he took out a black, white and green ring from his pocket. "Oh Phantom.. Yes! Yes, I will marry you and Esme!" Iris said, her gaze watering up as the ring was slid onto her fair finger.  "Our fiancée.. our perfect ballerina.." She heard him whisper underneath his breath.

(End of flashback!)

Melody was crying as that sweet proposal rang through her mind. "We had given her everything... yet, she chose the both of us! The happiness we felt that day paled in comparison to the sadness that would follow after you were born." The spitting image of Iris looked down at herself, realization spreading through her veins. She was the lost princess! "Father.. mama.. mother.." she whispered, tears running down her cheeks. Looking at the broken mirror, that was then she made her choice.

She began to walk to the mirror, her arm extended towards her father. "I'm coming, father." Melody whispered, feeling her father take her hand and placing an arm around her shoulders. "Through this very mirror, I taught your mother how to sing." He told her as she snuggled up next to him, feeling safe in his embrace. "Why did you bring me here?" She asked, her viridian orbs shining with innocence. The girl noticed that his mask shifted a little as he looked down at her.

"Destiny brought us both here, sweet girl." She then felt herself being picked up as she squealed with pure joy, clapping her hands in excitement. "Come with me." He crooned in her ear. "Where are we going, papa?" She softly asked, grabbing onto his cloak tightly in her small fists. "Welcome to my realm, sweetheart. Here, our lives will begin anew. This time... you will never be separated from me." He said to her as they were both in a boat, her viridian eyes glittering with enchantment. "This place is so beautiful.." she whispered, looking at the stalactites above them.

"I know, my little songbird." She giggled sweetly at the sound of her nickname. They reached a small house that was located at the end of the lake. Her eyes sparkled like jewels as she was lifted out of the boat and placed on her father's chest. "This is where you live?" She asked, her sweet innocence shining inside of her eyes. She heard a small yet amused chuckle escape the phantom as he unlocked the door. "No, sweet girl. This house is only temporary. Here.. I'll show you where I lived." He said to the 13 year old.

He walked over to a mirror similar to the one that he broke when he made contact with his daughter and performed a small gesture in front of the glass. It rippled a little and shimmered until the image of a beautiful palace appeared in the mirror's reflection.

"Wow! Is that really my home?!" Melody asked, looking at her father

"Wow! Is that really my home?!" Melody asked, looking at her father. "Yes, dear. Your room was supposed to be.. right there." He pointed at the middle tower with a yellow stained glass window. "Pretty! Who was mama back then?" She added. "Iris was the queen of goosebumps, the very books that R.L Stine wrote. She was quite the fair and sweet woman whom the creatures fell for and proclaimed her to become queen which makes you a princess." The phantom explained, watching his daughter's eyes sparkle with awe.

The mirror's image faded as her father explained everything to Melody about her origins, who she was and more importantly, where their spirits were and how to free them. She was listening intensively before she felt her eyes began to droop as she rubbed them with her tiny fists. The phantom scooped up the tired girl and carried her to a small bedroom, putting her under the covers. His heart broke as he brought her back home to her room at aunt and uncle's.

"Don't worry, my sweet Melody.." he whispered into the quietness. "Soon, you will free us and we will never leave you.."