Epilogue

A year later Kiya and I decided that we would attend the Musicians farewell. I had been working and was missing school and my teachers. And it was an opportunity to possibly see him again. I was getting myself ready, I had braided my hair so that my hair would be full of soft waves and had done simple eye make-up. My outfit was a tight-fitted singlet, high waisted skinny jeans, and topped off with one of mum's kimono jackets. I was determined to look as best I could in the off chance, he would see me. I had gotten my hair done during the year and had blonde highlights, I looked more mature and had clearer skin from age. I was more mature from finally working and earning my own money. I was a changed person and was ready to show off. The first half was good, but not fantastic- the sound of beginner musicians is also a little hard to handle. After listening to ensemble after ensemble there was finally an intermission. I saw some of my previous classmates, like Callie, and past students who had graduated years before- who couldn't let go of their experience, swanning around. But I saw in the middle of that crowd, one person. I fixed my hair and stood tall with my shoulders back and made sure I made my saunter perfect and strode past the group making sure he had a good look from the front and back. I made sure that I didn't lose my confident persona, keeping my eyes on nothing in particular, outside. I could feel his watchful eye as I made my way to nowhere, beyond the door. To make it seem like I had a plan, I walked to some bubblers thinking of my next plan of attack. I used my damp hands to dab my face and then fan, so I could cool the blush that had risen in my cheeks. After an entire year, feelings I had tried to shut away came pouring back. But this time I was better at hiding it and was determined to show off my new maturity and clearer, prettier skin. I walked back in and said hello to the group he had previously been talking, to keeping a pleasant tone to my voice- though to be honest, I really hated them. I sat back down in the back row with Kiya when a familiar voice rang in my ears "Hello, Hello." I could hear the cheek before I saw the smirk on his face. He greeted Kiya with a brief hug, and a pang of jealousy flooded me for a second, until he looked at me with his arms out "Come on you." I moved towards him and went in for a platonic hug, until he pulled me closer and tighten the hug, holding it for a little longer than a pleasantry greeting. This hug expressed so much that couldn't be expressed as student and teacher, it was all those small moments we shared in one final wrap up. As we pulled apart, he gave me a once over which made me blush, but thanks to the dim lighting no one would be able to tell.
"I heard you're leaving for some private boys' school."
"Yeah, well, better opportunity and I'll be closer to my mum." He sat down and turned toward me, leaving Kiya to watch the interaction, trying to put her 2 bobs in, whenever she could.
"Well, I'll miss you." The honey dripping from my voice was enough to stop at least 20 flies, I was feeling our natural flirtatious banter, I've only experienced with him. And then my heart stopped to stutter and flip and do crazy thing when he said "Well, you've graduated. I have no need to stay anymore." I stared at him buffering. He smiled that smile that makes me melt, thank goodness we were sitting because my knees felt weak, from what I heard him say, and my interpretation of it. We continued the conversation after I put myself back together, but I don't remember it. As the intermission finished, he stood to leave, to go back to his responsibilities but not without giving me another warm embrace that embodied our relationship, that was a final goodbye, good luck, and what I felt was definitely love- even though it may not have been romantic for him, we had a real friendship, we saw each other 5 days a week, for hours on end, for an entire year. If we didn't have some sort of love, I will never truly know what love is then. He changed me forever, and though people are put in our lives, some of them have to walk out. Our four seasons were over, but I would remember them forever. They say you never forget your first love, and I know they mean relationship wise, but in my heart, he will always be my first love.