Chapter Thirty Seven

A few identical days pass. 

They go something like this: I wake up with Noah. We both get dressed as quietly as possible as not to wake my brother. We go to work. We come home from work. Matt ignores every word we say to him. Noah and I give up and retreat upstairs. 

I flit between wanting to cry in frustration and wanting to cave Matt's skull in. 

"Hello? Earth to Madelaine?" 

I blink the thoughts away and tilt my head up to Chelsea. 

"Ring ring, ring ring?" She grins, shaking her head. "Are you deaf?" 

Shit. My phone is ringing. I scramble through the bag at my feet until I pull out my phone, clicking the green button with my pinky finger whilst trying to juggle my tablet in my other hand. 

"Uh - hello?" 

"Hi Madelaine! How're you getting on?" 

Not great. 

"Great?" 

"Perfect!" The woman says, unusually chipper considering there are two and a half hours left of the working day, even if it is Friday. "Just a quick call really." 

"Oh?" I ask, like I've got any idea who this person is. 

Noah? Chelsea mouths. I shake my head. Who else calls you?

Frowning, I stick my middle finger up at her. 

"Yes- let me just. Ah, here it is. Your room is ready. Just finished yesterday." 

"My room?" 

There's a long pause. "You are Madelaine Grayson, right? This is Southam and Co Real Estate." 

"Oh!" I blink. "Yes- right. I'm so sorry. I'm in Friday mode." 

Either that or I'm just generally not fully developed. 

"Ah, I feel you. Me too." For some reason, I doubt that. "Anyway, good news! The builders got all the work done, the ceiling is in tip-top condition, and you can move back in as soon as possible! Isn't that great?" 

"Uh huh," I nod. "Great." 

Incredible. Fabulous. There definitely isn't a weight pressing down on my chest, pushing me further into the chair I'm sat on. Suffocating me. 

"Perfect. As you know, there's no charge of rent for the time you were away, nor will the rent change with inflation next year - the landlord was worried the work took so long, so he's happy to incentivize however you need." She chuckles, "Honestly, you could probably ask him to knock a bit off the rent and I doubt he'd kick up a fuss."

"Great," I repeat in a mumble. 

"What date would you like me to put as your return? This weekend?" 

I stumble over my words, stuttering. 

"Um- uh, yeah. Yes! Sure."

"Great," she chirps. "Let us know if you need anything. Have a great weekend." 

I mumble, "you too," but she's already gone. 

Huh. There's a stain on the wall behind Chelsea's head. It's light like it's been washed away but I'm guessing someone spilled coffee on it - or maybe they threw it at the wall. It's what I want to do right now. 

Chelsea clears her throat. 

All she receives in return is a groan. 

My room is ready? Now? Is life seriously that cruel? It definitely is. Though it did give me Noah, and maybe it has given me a way to escape Matt's wrath, but still. Living with Matt and Noah has felt like home. I've never been so happy to share my space with boys. I don't even care about the lack of personal space.