Chapter 1

Ashanti's P.O.V

Mi out fi buck off mi forehead inna the bus. Good thing mi get a window seat suh the morning breeze a kinda keep mi up. A open up mi mouth wid one big dutty yawn nearly tek in the conducta and the girl who fa ears him a sing inna lacka mosquita. Coulda neva be me, woulda give him one big blam. Nuh know how dem can look ppl gyal pickney suh.
Anyways as we pulled up at the school gate I came out. Neva affi pay caz a mi uncle bus suh him always just carry mi and Daddy pay him a month time.
Hate school yf. Walk guh uppa canteen and get a bottle a wata and a nature valley since I'm not much of a breakfast person. I sat in my home room at my usual seat and muttered a 'good morning' to the few kids there. As 8:30 approached the class was getting louder as more untrained monkeys arrived. Call me whatever but no I don't have any friends at school I'm here to do classes and get tf home.
First class for the day was my fav, Bio.

"So students, the main organ in the circulatory system that we will be focusing on is the heart, for this unit I will be placing you all into groups to make a 2D representation of the heart and the direction of blood flow, it must be done in pairs."

Lawd have mercy Stewie man. Couldn't just mek we dweet wi self or at least choose the partner. Woulda mek it myself anyways and put the person name pon it mi nuh selfish. Mi like do things my own way.

"Ashanti and Shantel". A who name suh Jesus.

I looked around and found the brown girl on the other side of the room who did a small shy nod. Well it's not like me and har need fi talk but good to know she's not talkative, just aguh tell har me alone will dweet when class done.

"This assignment is due on Wednesday next week".
Soon after class was dismissed so I put my notebook and my concise away and and walked over to Shantel.

"I'll do it myself and put your name on it" I told her but she wasn't having it.
"No, you can come over to my house and we will work on it together and go shopping for the materials together, we can do it on Saturday caz I take private bus to school so I can't do it after school during the week, give me your number so we can draft the model design and make a list of the materials we will use" she seh all a that and mi deeven coulda seh no tbh, she sound just as interested in school as I was and it was a good plan. I took her phone and typed in my number. Girl yah rich enuh caz who takes such an expensive phone to school like she nuh fraid.
I moved through my day like I do everyday, I take sandwiches to school and my own drink caz I'm not a fan of lunch at school and I mostly sit in class and eat my lunch, I can't with the vulgarity and loud shouting and heat and odors in the canteen at lunchtime. As Chemistry went by and we finished up the lab and recorded the results I heard the bell. I took off my coat and folded it neatly and placed my notebook and Chem concise in my bag.
I walked out the gate and waited on uncle Jimmy to come. I jumped into the front beside him with two other girls. The bus loaded and we were on our way. The ride home was 40 mins but it wasn't bad caz me and uncle Jimmy always talked and made jokes on our way.

"Alright, tmr" I said as I hopped out the front. I went through the small gate on unto the walkway then opened the grill. I took my school shoes off outside and walked inside.
"Good evening Mommy" she was watching African foolishness on the tv.
"Evening Monique",yh mi yaad name nicer than mi real name, nuh know wah dem did a think wid Ashanti enuh caz mi look like a "Kristine" yuh know dem way deh. Name nice stills.
I walked to my room, I placed my school bag on my desk and unhooked my belt so I could open my skirt and take my blouse out. This made me release a breath of relief. One day gone, four to go. I took my phone and change out of my pocket. Today I saved 810 dollars. I dropped it into my saving pan on the dresser. I smiled, it was going towards something but nth specific. I just liked saving and banking my savings every time the pan was full.
My feet were tired so I took off my uniform and sat on my chair. Coulda neva guh pon my bed wid clothes weh mi wear pon the road. I sat down for about 10 mins before I went to the bathroom. I took my phone with me and played some Alkaline.
I sang along here and there. Used the facial cleanser to wash my face, placed my clothes in the laundry basket and went into the shower. Turned on the water and let it flow along my body for a while and then got my dove body wash and got to work.
I'm not a forever person so I was out within 5 mins and put on a nice thin dress and underwear. We have stiff breasts suh mi nuh wear brassiere inna yaad a lie. I layed in bed a little and relaxed. It was now 5:30 so I got up and did my English assignment to do a summary.
I walked to the kitchen and saw my dinner on the table and placed it in the microwave and let it heat up. While I was at the island eating Daddy came in.

"Good evening Daddy"

"Evening Momo"

He didn't stick around he went into the bedroom. Probably gonna sit out on the balcony and drink and talk and stuff. He's chill. My parents don't really cloak me and maybe that's why I'm like this, but it's healthy though.
I finished eating and washed my plate and went back to my room. I took up my phone and realized I had a text message from Shantel.

"Hey, it's Shantel from Bio class want us to think about the design and draw it and send pictures tmr after school?"

"Yes sure" is what I replied with.

I drafted a design in a blank leaf and put it in my folder and started writing up my Chem lab due Friday. Soon it was after 8, my time this. I stopped and decided it was rest time. I went to lay in bed and watched my series of the month, "Once Upon A Time" I was so determined to see how this would play out.
After two episodes I called quits and put my phone to charge and turned the lights off. I went to brush my teeth and use the bathroom and then I turned the fan on and pulled my blanket around me.
I was out like a light.