Chapter 5

All laughs and good food . It's been a really long time since we used the gazebo for dinner but Mommy thought it was a fitting occasion since I never have anyone over. Daddy didn't even question it he just wanted to know the fish was ready. Dinner was good, curry pork, fricassee chicken, steam fish and rice and peas with other sides.
I was busy getting into my plate caz Sunday is just the best dinner of the week to me.
"The food naah run stills"
I looked up to see her watching me intently.

"Pay attention to yours, it just might" I replied uninterested and returned to my plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked behind her to her car while playing with my fingers not sure of what to say. What do you say when you like someone you shouldn't.

"Fix your face I'm not leaving forever, you can talk to me over the phone" she said turning around to see my reaction. I rolled my eyes but mustered up a small smile.

"You can come stay with me for the night and I'll take you to school..." she suggested but I just don't really understand a lot right now so I politely declined. We said our farewells and I watched her drive off after I closed the grill and she honked.

"Yuh fi invite har ova again Mo" my mom said as soon as I entered the house.

"She doesn't live here so she's probably leaving soon"

"Oh, issa boujie gf yuh guh find man" my eyes bulged out of their place.

"I don't mind. Once you're happy" she said and walked off not giving me the chance to explain myself but then again how can I explain myself.

I don't even know what I want or if I want to find out. I just know she's gone and I feel like I miss her. The definition of her curl pattern. How soft her skin is. The texture of her lips. I love it so much. I know I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

I laid there in bed just reminiscing I don't even know when I fell asleep I just know I was woken up by my phone ringing a familiar unsaved number. I checked the time and it was 2:13 am. Why???

I answered anyways as an amateur yamhead.

"Hey" her voice was smooth.

"Yes" my voice was hoarse.

"I can't seem to fall asleep because of you, so I think it's fair for you to be awake as well"

"Well you're not actually here so I doubt you can affect me"

"Think again" and I heard a short horn at my gate. She cyah serious.

"Why yuh deh outside?"

"Can't sleep"

"So you're gonna sleep at my gate then?"
"It's actually either you come to me or I come to you"

She used that tone again that made me wanna do anything she said. I know I can't wake my parents to ask them to let her in and I know I'm not leaving my bed to go stay in her car.

Mom had a lot to drink last night so she's gonna probably not be awake to see me off in the morning. But Uncle Jimmy will stop and blow if he doesn't see me. I have a plan.

"Okay give me 10 mins"

I got up not thinking straight. I grabbed my bag that's already packed. I took another bag and started stuffing in clothes and I walked to the kitchen and packed my lunch and sneaked out the gate as quietly as possible.

She opened the passenger door and I placed my school shoes down and then put two bags on the backseat and stopped to look at her.

"You're crazy yk that right??" I said as I secured my seatbelt. And it's at this moment I realized something.

"Did you tell Shantel you spent yesterday with me?"

"Told everyone I was gonna visit a friend"

Shit. She told me to stay away from her and now she spent a whole afternoon with me and is taking me to her house.

"I can't pop up at her house with you I'm gonna feel bad"

"Does she like you?"

"No we just started talking because of the project"

"Don't worry we don't have to go there"

We ended up driving into a different compound a little outside the town. The apartment building was really nice. She carried my bag and shoes and I carried the bag with my clothes. We got inside and it was like 3:07 am. See how mi leff mi yaad fadda. I didn't even think twice. What's wrong with me??

I placed my bag in the closet and walked over to the bed still in my dress from the day before. I decided to just bathe and done caz anuh like mi just wake up. I got out my clothes and walked over to the bathroom.

"Soon come" I told her, mi use hot water and tek a 5 minute bathe and put on mi clothes just a tank top and a boy shorts and guh bk inna the room and put on some deodorant not doing anything else I walked over to the bed and got comfortable. She hasn't said a word. She just pulled me close and buried her face in my neck with her hand around me holding my breast and soon all I heard were soft snores and I followed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up for the third time that morning and stretched with her hand still securing me in place. It was 7:45. I woke up at 6 and called Uncle Jimmy and told him I'm sick and I won't be coming with him today. But I'm 23 mins away from school according to maps. School starts at 8:30.

I put my hand on her hand that was around me and pulled it away only for her to tighten her hold.

"Mi need fi guh brush mi teeth and put on mi uniform" she groaned in response but released me.

I went to the bathroom and brushed my teeth and came out to see her still in bed.

"Mikhail you're taking me to school get up" I told her only for her to groan again and start getting up. A who piss inna har tea?

"Something wrong? Caz I will take a taxi enuh" she turned around giving me a pissed off face, "Just get ready" she told me.

I was placing the belt in my uniform when I heard her exit the bathroom all fresh and in a joggers and large Tshirt. Her hair was messy but she looked so good. She took up my school bag and my shoes and walked through the door. I followed with my phone in my hand. After closing the door we exited the building it was now 7:58 am.

"Do you want breakfast?" She asked as we approached the town.

"No I'm good" I told her.

She pulled over anyways and went into Juici. She was back 5 mins later with porridge and flitters. She handed me what looked like my bag and the hominy porridge hit my nose. I started on a fritters first and the crunchiness and saltfish was nice. I don't like eating this early but I'm in my own seat and comfortable so it didn't bother me much.

The porridge called me and I had to start on it. It wasn't sweet or fresh just right. I finished up and had a drink of water from my bottle and felt energized. It's now 8:24 am and I'm surprised I'm here already not feeling like the car was going that fast despite all the cars we passed.

I took my bag from the backseat. "Thanks" I told her and she looked at me like I was being rude with one eyebrow raised.

"Mi nuh get hug and dem ting deh?" She said. I stretched over and gave her a little hug as she held my waist.

"Wah time yuh want mi come fi yuh?" She asked.

"3" I told her hopping out. "See you later" I said before closing the door and beginning to walk to class.

She waited until I was past the gate to drive off and I felt my phone buzz in my pocket "I wish I was that uniform" was all the text read but it made me smile to class something I hardly do. I quickly dropped it and entered the classroom.