4 | the backdoor

Hanging out in the cafe in front of the ZENITH could have its benefits

Hanging out in the cafe in front of the ZENITH could have its benefits. One, the latte was hella nice; and second, it gave him a perfect view of the patrol rounds happening in the front door. It was a nice day for a watch, as he was prone to say.

He sipped from his cup, glancing at the patch on his wrist for the time. Connected to his microscreen back in HQ, not only did it show him the time, it also informed him of everything happening in the radius he told it to keep watch on. Faces with their identification on the regional database flashed across the translucent patch, giving him fleeting tattoos of strangers on his skin. Rad, but no thanks. He couldn't wait to burn it to the ground the moment this step in the process was over.

The sun blinded him, the rays passing through the spy glasses Cam gave him. What's the use of these damn things, anyway? He ducked his head, angling his body under the sprawling shade of the outdoor umbrella to shield his face from the glare reflecting off the ZENITH's glass-like facade. The piece in his ear screeched with nothing but static.

"Kabe, you big idiot," Camreen's voice crackled through the comms. Just because the line was secure didn't mean she could rat at him in his ears. "Get into the sun and do the work! I can't get clear coverage from that position."

He peeled the gadget off his face. See how she liked it. He dug around his bag for a bottle of perfume and made a show of spraying on his wrist. Bringing the multi-purpose patch to his mouth, he looked like he was merely sniffing the fragrance, but under his breath, he hissed. "Do it yourself, genius," he said. "I refuse to stand in the sun like a fucking idiot."

Alright. Just because the line was secure didn't mean he could cuss like a sailor stranded on land either. Maybe it's the sun or the latte's effects on his nerves. "Fine, fine," he gave in after a minute of thought. "I'll finish my drink and take a walk."

Camreen's only answer was a brief frizzle. A snort or a quick exhale. Either way, Kabe didn't have much choice but to pop the lid of his latte and down the rest of the contents into his mouth. The bitter taste of the coffee coated his tongue first, before being obliterated by the sweet thread of milk and sugar. He wiped the corners of his lips with the back of his hand and pushed the chair back. The metal leg grated against the manicured pavement.

Didn't matter though. Everyone who has ever been in this outdoor part of the cafe scraped the ground with loud—if not, louder—noises. It's not drawing attention. It's called being part of the norm. Let Cam hound him later on. He would draw more attention by being as quiet as a mouse in a congressman's house.

He strode away from the outdoor cafe and came into the sunny expanse between it and the ZENITH's entrance. In the short course of an hour, hundreds of people have flitted in and out of the residential tower. Most were clad to the nines with flowing gaits, sparkling gems, and fluttering skirts. The only thing left to complete the image was them throwing paper creds into the air. Or maybe they'd have servants do it for them too.