𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

"Don't forget your medication," Heather, Luna's mother, stated as she perched on the end of the bed, carefully examining every little piece of clothing her daughter was packing. It wasn't that she was nosey, she just wanted to make sure that nothing was left behind.

"You've already reminded me like a hundred times," Luna sighed as she scanned through her wardrobe for the perfect outfits. She wanted everything about this summer to be perfect, and thanks to her best friend's invitation to their summer house, it was on track to be the best summer ever.

Her mother stood up and walked over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder as she kissed her cheek. "I know I have darling, but you will be screwed without them."

"I know, I know," she dismissed.

"I'll leave you to it. I'm only downstairs if you-" Heather paused as she watched her pull out an extremely short black dress. It was something she had insisted on buying for her sixteenth birthday but still hadn't worn. "What the hell do you need that for?" she laughed.

"You are the one that said if you wear a short enough skirt, the party will come to you," Luna smiled as she chucked the dress onto the bed along with a pair of black heels.

"I did say that but you will also look like you belong in a brothel," Heather joked. Luna rolled her eyes and ushered her towards the door. She had always had an extremely close relationship with her mother, but recently she had become way too overprotective of her. "Or are you trying to impress Steven?" she continued as she wiggled her eyebrows, a small smirk appearing as she noticed the disgusted look on her daughter's face.

"Gross, mum. He's my best friend," Luna whined as she pushed her fully out of the room and shut her bedroom door, listening to her sing 'Steven and Luna sitting in a tree' as she walked downstairs.

Ever since 1st grade, she and Steven had been practically inseparable - the only times they were apart was during summer - as she usually visited Europe, while he went with family to Cousins Beach. However, after a lot of convincing her mother had agreed to let her stay with them for the summer. It probably helped that both of their parents were praying for them to start dating, but the two teens knew that was never going to happen. They were extremely happy being friends, and it worked. No drama. No arguments. It was perfect.

"You can do this," she sighed as she flopped down onto her bed, staring up at the ceiling. Her mother wasn't completely wrong, she did want to 'dress to impress' but not for Steven; for herself. Throughout her seventeen years of life, she had not taken one photo where she loved the way she looked; she just wanted to feel good for a change.

Her phone quickly took her out of her thoughts as music blasted out. 'I don't care how long it takes, as long as I'm with you, I've got a smile on my face.' She took a moment to glance at the caller ID before rolling her eyes.

"You gave yourself a personal ringtone?"

"Of course I did, I am your best friend after all. I deserve the utmost special treatment, and at least now you will NEVER miss a call from me."

"I can still decline your call, Steven."

"I'm hurt, Luna. My heart is shattered into pieces."

"I'm sure you will get over it."

"Don't worry there will be plenty of girls at the beach that will want to mend my broken heart. It will only take me doing my adorable puppy face once, and they will instantly fall for me."

"Good luck with that, whenever I see your puppy face I just want to punch you."

"You are so mean to me."

"Someone has to keep your ego at bay."

"Are you saying that I'm attractive?"

"That is not what I said at all, but whatever helps you sleep at night."

"You would."

"Gross, Steven. Aren't you in the car with your mum and sister?"

"No, we haven't set off yet. Belly's friend came round to pack and all of sudden she needs a whole new wardrobe, so we are now officially running late."

"That's good because I have only just finished picking out my outfits."

"Not you too."

"I have to look good this summer."

"Why? What's so special about this summer?"

"Didn't you say that the house belongs to two extremely attractive brothers?"

"You are banned from going anywhere near them. I don't even want to see you talking to them."

"Chill out. I'm only interested in hanging out with you this summer."

"That's my girl."

"I'm going to finish packing, send me a text when you are on your way."

"Of course."

"Was that Steven? Is he on his way? I haven't seen him in two weeks, I've missed him," Heather shouted. Luna sighed as she stood from the bed and opened the door, watching as her mother stumbled slightly into the room.

"You just can't help eavesdropping, can you?"

"I was not eavesdropping, I was simply on my way to the bathroom."

Luna chuckled and patronisingly patted her mother's head. "Well you enjoy the bathroom, I need to finish packing otherwise your precious Steven will not be happy with me."

∘•········ʚ ♡ ɞ ········•∘

"Please be careful, and call me if there are any issues. I mean it, Luna. I will be with you in seconds if you need me."

"I will," Luna smiled as her mother placed a kiss on her forehead. "I promise," she reassured. Her mother nodded and glanced behind her as she heard a familiar voice shouting from the driveway. "You can hear him from a mile away."

"At least you will never lose him," Heather joked. Luna smiled as her best friend made his way up the drive, his arms open wide ready for the long-awaited hug - even though it had only been two weeks since they had seen each other. He wrapped his arms around her and spun her in the air, placing a kiss on the top of her head before putting her down. "Be careful with her."

"Don't worry Mrs. Douglas, I will protect her with all my heart," he chuckled as he grabbed hold of his chest and saluted her. Luna rolled her eyes at his antics as he hugged her mother tightly. "We better get going before my mum goes on another five-minute rant about us running late."

"Tell Laurel to message me when you get there."

"I will," Steven confirmed as he grabbed Luna's luggage and carried it towards the car. Heather wrapped her arms around her daughter once more, whispering a quick 'I love you' before sending her on her way.

It was officially the beginning of the perfect summer.