𝟑

The grounds of the beach house were a lot bigger than what she was expecting. Her eyes travelled towards a little hut that sat right at the bottom of the garden, away from the prying eyes of the house. It was perfect. Surrounded by her favourite flowers; chrysanthemums, it was almost like it was built for her.

Luna opened the door and smiled as she took a seat on one of the many cushions that covered the floor. "This is more like it," she muttered as she reached into her jacket pocket and pulled out the joint that she had been hiding for the entire journey. Steven would kill her if he knew that she smoked. But she needed it.

The second she lit it, she heard footsteps directly outside the hut. Panic instantly took over her whole body as she ran over several different excuses, all of them absolutely terrible. "You don't have to hide it."

"Who is it?" she stupidly asked.

"Conrad."

"Do you want to join?" she questioned as she took a large drag of the joint, feeling much better in a matter of seconds. It was like a miracle drug; one that could help you forget all your problems.

"I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier."

"It's okay, I get it. You have your summer traditions and wanted to stick to them," Luna stated, trying to play it off like it didn't bother her as she offered him the joint. He glanced at her and smiled, taking a drag of it before handing it back. "We can share it if you want?" she suggested. Relief washed over Conrad as soon as he realised he, finally, had a smoking partner for the rest of the summer.

"How long have you been smoking for?"

"A couple of years."

He was surprised at the answer. "Why were you so worried when you thought you had been caught?"

"I don't want Steven knowing-" she paused as she noticed the confused look pass across his face, "- I know he smokes occasionally too but in his eyes I'm his perfect best friend and I want to keep it that way."

"I'm sure he wouldn't mind," Conrad stated.

"Nope, I think he would disown me," she joked.

"I don't think you could do anything to get him to disown you. He talks about you like he worships the ground you walk on."

"We have been best friends for as long as I can remember."

"Are you sure there's nothing more going on?"

Luna paused, the joint hanging between her fingers as she stared him. Her mind thinking back to what happened on the journey over. 'That's just a hormonal teenager' she thought to herself as she quickly shook away the idea. "We have flirted with each other, but I wouldn't take it any further than that."

"You don't want to ruin your friendship."

"Exactly, you get it," she accidentally snorted. They both glanced at each other, trying to hold back their laughter but it was no use. It was like an eruption as they both held onto their stomachs, the laughter echoing around the hut. Both of them shushing each other, panicking in case they were being too loud.

After a couple of minutes they managed to gain some composure and lay down, resting their heads against the many cushions and relighting the joint. "I can't believe I just did that."