Chapter 5

The city burst forth with a thousand lights, smothering them.

They'd been left on the side of the road. A pile of garbage to the side.

Teddy coughed. "Something weird in the air."

"You sure?"

"Yeah, Hard to--" he coughed again, "--breath, and--"

"Okay; pace yourself."

Teddy nodded, coughing again.

A set of shots.

"Get down."

The firing wasn't too far from them. She ducked low, tracing the street and to where she thought she'd heard the shooting. She made sure Teddy was following--he'd already found a way up the side of a rotting building and was now positioned so that he could cover the next three blocks.

She dove forward, sprinting and then jumping over trash, finding herself in the middle of a gunfight, a shot nearly taking her as she ducked and then forced through and to the monsieur, the kid shouting until he was thrust so violently against the wall he died. The strange crack of bone. The shuttering beneath. Molly let go, then turned around and shot another monsieur getting up a slight incline, the guy shouting then crumpling like the trash that surrounded them.

She parsed through. A spear shot through the air and landed in the stomach of a monsieur, the monsieur laughing as he shot his gun then died in the next instant, a man wearing the pelt of a wolf taking a bowknife and cutting the monsieur down into the ground.

The sheep-herder tried to make a run for it, but Molly was too quick. She made it a mercy killing though she didn't know why.

More shooting; more shouting. It spun around Molly, dodging and delivering blows, each kill mounting until soon she was covered in blood. She lost Teddy in the surge; she would just have to hope he had the good sense to fall back.

"Molly!"

The station, that massive platform shifting until soon its shadow covered each surface. Those in the melee ran, some laughing, most staring up and fleeing in panic.

The ensuing cry shook every surface.

Teddy approached, his rifle slung over his shoulder.

"Thought we got out too easy."

The station rotated, still suspended above them. The clock ticking down.

Before they left Molly observed the bodies, the scorched walls, the blood on the floor.

Too much spilling over.

"We better go."