Chapter 18

Crystal vistas unending through the turns of the city. She stepped lightly through jagged spikes. She pressed on no matter how high the obstacle. She seemed to know she would always find her way.

It impressed Bake.

"You gonna ever tell me how you stopped time like that?"

He noticed that she never seemed to blink.

"I'm not supposed to."

"Okay." Bake took off his mask and itched his left eye. He noticed the girl still staring at him.

"What?"

She pressed on, nearly cutting herself on the edge of a crystal, electrical currents forming beneath the glass.

***

They sat beneath a canopy of crystal, watching the sunset. It was hazy, the world fading out.

She was looking down at her wooden cross. Whenever Bake had asked about it she had only told him that she was on a holy mission, to serve her god until death--then after.

"Who's Jesus?"

The girl glanced at him.

"The son of God. The third piece."

Bake coughed into his gloves. "Yeah, well, that's great. What's his deal?"

"He is going to deliver us to heaven."

"Then I'd hang it up. People are tired of thinking about death."

Bake sighed. "Whatever."

The girl got up, cross in-hand.

"I am Naly."

Bake cleared his throat.

"That's a weird name."

"What's your name?"

"Bake."

"That's not a name."

"It's my name."

She nodded.

"I'm sorry. Thank you, Bake. You helped me. I'm still confused; I don't think I should be out here, but I am. So I'm going to try my best to help people."

"Do you still want to go to the station?"

"I have to find someone, I think. I heard her name in a dream I had. I never told you because I knew you wouldn't understand."

Bake looked around, hands extended.

"I risked my life for you, kid. What do you want to--wait, what about a dream?"

"I know this is going to be hard for you to understand."

"Stop talking like that."

He realized his fingers were curled. He didn't like this girl. He didn't like her name and he didn't like the way she kept reminding him of--

"Are you okay?"

Bake blinked.

"What?"

"I waited and didn't say anything after you yelled--mom said that's how you respond to someone who is yelling at you."

"Your mom was a fucking idiot."

"I'm not leaving. I need to find this person. It's important."

"Shut up."

He took a deep breath.

"Please, just for one second."

He went over and saw movement in a lower rise not so far from them. More movement; whoever it was they weren't masking their approach. Bake saw that the girl had noticed, leaning over and then falling back behind a jutting crystal.