Chapter 47

The simulation rose up, black-metal chair hooked up to so many wires it made Sarah dizzy to look at them. So many switches and levers to simulate only a fraction of what it was like to do the real thing.

"Watch your aft," Sarah said, wanting to impose caution as she watched the numbers rise.

The pilot swung hard to the left with the stick--Sarah saw what the plan was before it was enacted, showing good foresight as the pilot caught a gust of wind and managed to rise into the second sector, where the flight into space would begin.

The simulation let out a set of beeps, then the chair hissed and lowered, the pilot swinging off the helmet, revealing Kelsey and her fast-growing mane of curls.

Sarah put her hands on her hips and smiled a little.

"Couldn't have done it better myself."

Kelsey blushed.

"You're joking."

"Nope. C'mon, I think Sinclair's giving us the readout now."

Kelsey hopped off, moving quickly, a smile lingering on her face.

"You're excited," Sarah said after a time, walking side-by-side through the station, level and level of metal bands falling up.

"It's finally happening! I can't believe it--it was so fast."

"Sinclair got the go-ahead and figured it was now or never." Sarah shrugged.

"Oh, but Sarah we have to go. What if something happens to the station?"

"Nothing will happen to the station."

They were being watched over. She wouldn't ever tell Kelsey that. They had to keep focused.

Inside the meeting hall was Ferdinand, Sammy, Sinclair, Percy, Washington, and Joe. Vale was nowhere to be seen, but that wasn't surprising. Sarah would have to speak with Vale before the actual mission began.

"Good, we can start," Sinclair said, nodding and putting away the screen he'd been using. "Washington?"

Washington got up--part of his labcoat was stained and he hadn't shaved in a while giving him a vagrant's sheen though Sarah thought no less of Washington than before.

"Weather's about as clear as it's going to be for the foreseeable future," Washington droned, coughing once. "Ships are ready to go and we have the first readouts on who's going up."

No one moved, no one spoke. Washington glanced at Sinclair who nodded.

"Sarah, Joe, and Ferdinand. The rest will be on standby."

Another long silence.

"Any questions?" asked Sinclair.

Kelsey came up and hugged Sarah, congratulated both Joe and Ferdinand, shaking Ferdinand's hand then giving Joe an even bigger hug.

"I know you'll all do so well."

"Gotta do better than well, yeah?" Ferdinand said, making Kelsey laugh.

Sinclair nodded.

"I have complete faith in you. We considered both the numbers and...other factors," he said, glancing at Sarah. "If I've learned anything during my time with you all is that the numbers aren't everything. They never were. I trust each of you because I have seen you put in the work and know you'll do the right thing in any given situation. I'm proud of you. We're going to do this."

A general, light jubilation; Sarah's heart swelled and even the usually cold Percy and Washington seemed moved, Percy wiping at his eyes while Washington struggled to remain standing, no doubt because of his leg and the show of comradery, waving Sammy's help away as he finally sat down.