Chapter 20

Fallon hunched over, staring at the blinking red light on the killswitch. Beyond, a dead scar in the sky. Seth couldn't believe the world had fallen so far. Jesse was right; they had to go back.

"Is it--"

A thrum, then the explosion; Seth put his head down and covered his head with his gloved hands. After the ringing had stopped he looked up, debris trickling down.

The wall was open.

"Breach!"

Abacus got one of the kids working the mill then Jordan got another. Over soonafter. As they stepped across and observed the bodies--at the holes they'd all made--Seth turned one of the corpses over to see twin-dead eyes looking back.

"Jesse wants this place cleaned out," Jordan said.

They breathed heavily as they wandered around. Seth was about to ask Abacus what one of the tools on the benches was when he spotted a canister in the back and recognized it immediately.

He flung the canister at Jordan's feet.

"Monsieur."

Jordan spit on the ground and swiped at his long hair. "Shit. Who the hell's paying for it?"

"Does it matter? They're on our side, yeah?"

Jordan didn't answer.

"Who are these people?" Freddy asked, waving his gun at the bodies, his face red with exertion.

"Vagrants. Let's get out of here."

They stood there, watching Jordan as if they didn't hear him.

"Move!"

Seth was the last left, glancing at the canister then stepping outside. Mire-green, in the distance. Some said a star had fallen and that heaven herself was rebelling against the unfaithful.

"We're going to check that out eventually, yeah?"

Jordan snapped around and came close to Seth. Eyes-white.

"I don't care if the fucking moon is landing on us--you are going to do exactly what you are told. Every word I say is law. Now fucking get in the street."

Seth obeyed, bowing his head low.

As they gathered Jordan took out his receiver and frowned at the blue light, waving his hand in the air then sighing again.

"Double-back: we're going to one of the boxes. Architects are holed up there, and that's good tech. Do not shoot it. I swear to god Abacus if I see you shooting without looking down your sights one more time I'll shove that torch up your ass--got it?"

Abacus looked at the ground.

"Yeah."

"Move!"

The fascists fled. The green marvel beyond was now nothing more than scenery. The shadows of the city continued to slash at them. More than anything Seth wished they were back up-top. The station made a lot more sense than this place.

The black bugs in their ears chirped, Seth and the others finding cover and pointing their guns west, towards the sea. Eventually Jordan caught up with them, muttering something Seth didn't catch into a receiver.

"Okay."

Jordan came over to where Seth was prone, on a metal slab that had probably once belonged to the street itself. Jordan sat on his side then peered further into the city, red-and-orange lights casting far.