Chapter 42

Sarah entwined her fingers with Sinclair's, moving back and forth as some of the light caught them, illuminating them.

Station Four was silent save for a low hum, the coolants working overtime as each launch sent tremors through the ground, sapping them.

Surrounded in that great darkness, Sarah did feel more at-ease. It was out there where she found herself lost.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel bad."

She tucked her hands under her head and turned to him, some of the blanket rolling off.

"You were only telling the truth."

Sinclair looked up at the ceiling, sniffing.

"Truth. I have no idea what the truth is. I thought I did at one point then the rug was pulled out. For all of us."

He looked down. Towards the window, where the sun bled through.

"Addicius was right: I should have scraped the whole thing."

"Go up with Amelia?"

He chuckled. "Right."

"I'm not really religious," Sarah said. "Maybe I haven't thought about it hard enough. But I do believe that there's some weird chance that it's all going to be okay. Am I crazy?"

His eyes were washed in a haze, like everyone's, but this only made the iris more clear, the color more beautiful.

"I think you're the last sane person left."

"But it's..." Sarah sighed. "It's all over, isn't it?"

"I guess we're wasting our time then."

"But how can we ever pick up the pieces? How--"

He leaned and kissed her, putting his hand behind her head, on her back, then drawing back and touching her face.

"I don't know. I don't care that I don't know anymore. Let's try and dream a little. It's probably all we really had."

"I love you."

"I love you too. We're going to do it." Sinclair smiled. "Because you're here. Thank god."

***

Sarah dipped the lever then crossed her arms and put her head down, watching space and time roll across.

It was her thirteenth launch. Sammy had been the first to make the connection, loudly asking if they could let Sarah sit this one out but she needed to be up here.

"Sarah?"

She smiled.

"Hey."

"It's just us."

"That's interesting."

"It doesn't have to be."

She didn't know why, but in that moment she knew she would never love someone like she loved Sinclair, not if the world was to go on for another thousand, million years.

"It's amazing, isn't it?"

"Yes. Our hope and our failure. You said in one of your reports that you thought you saw something."

Sarah hesitated.

"Don't worry about it."

"Sarah, it's vital--"

"It's not important."

She looked down at the dash. The timer was already at zero.

"I'm coming back down."