vi.

☾ 🌞. ☽

there was fire everywhere. licking alvena's feet, arms, the ends of her hair. she couldn't feel it, but she could hear the screams of those who could.

"PLEASE, WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS"

"WE'VE GOT TO FIGHT"

"RUN"

there was the sound of heavy footsteps, iron clad feet beating against brittle and burnt earth- it sliced through the sounds of screams and alvenas heavy breathing.

her world was engulfed in fire and smoke and all she could see was fucking RED.

she heard the screams of the earth benders around her, as the ground beneath them lit them up like funeral pyres. she could hear rocks and earth molding, bending and flying only to be melted by heated hands of the fire nation army.

she felt the ground thudding beneath her, iron clad feet; a whole lot of them coming from behind her.

"alvena, what are you doing protecting these people? killing your own for them? they're scum, they're weak. come back home, take the position you were offer-"

the fire soldier ate his tongue and swallowed it with fire.

alvena twirled, fire bending around her fingertips- leaving only to assault those she should have considered her "own". they surrounded her, raining down hell with trained proficiency. predictable proficiency.

one

she ran, lithe and light as ever on her uncovered feet and shoved the heated dagger in her hand into an unsuspecting throat.

two

"just come home alvena, this is your last chance, it has been years. the general is hunting you, I'm sure you will only get a lashing if you just stop this nonsense and return home now"

boiling hands wrapped around her elbow and yanked her back, leaving bubbling, red skin beneath when she grabbed the hand of her assailant and snapped it over her thigh and smiled as the bones ripped through the skin and the screams sailed through her ears.

she saw the earth benders of the town she had called home for the past few months flee, the lady from the fish market with little keeta in her arms bawling his eyes out, the old tavern keeper with a burnt calf limping and ushering behind them.
children, women, men, all these people she had grown to know ran past her with raging irritated limbs, knowing they didn't have the power to fight back.

the towns men tried their best, most met an unfortunate end and the rest rushed to evacuate their families.

alvena had ripped through hundreds and hundreds of soldiers and they just didn't stop coming, she couldn't risk accidently killing the people she was trying to protect so had ran to every person she saw out in the open and ushered them into the woods before turning back to fend off the barrage.

she was tired, bleeding, burnt and bruised but there was still atleast a few dozen more coming straight at her.

three

her train of thought was interrupted as she shoved her dagger back and into the spleen of a fire nation soldier creeping behind her.

he dropped to the scorched ground.

the last dozen or so of the soldiers were closing in, still not close enough to worry about.

she surveryed her surroundings.

homes, stalls, streets, everything was burning and she couldn't risk putting it out. she wanted to scream, these were people's homes and whole lives her own nation had taken away. she felt disgusting, she felt vial for the fire in her veins. she felt absolutely nothing for the thick layers of blood that weighed on her hands and body.