Chapter Nine: Friendship (2)

(Word Count: 2843. Sorry, I couldn't get the word count close enough to 3,000, but I think it should suffice. Enjoy the chapter!)

The maroon haired boy continues to make his way towards Kimetsu High. Multiple yawns escape him, which is very unusual. He's never this tired, so this is a pretty interesting experience. His eyes are really droopy, and the way he moves signify that he really needs rest. 

"Jeez, I'm tired...", Tanjiro says while rubbing his eyes. Some tears begin to form in his eyes, making Tanjiro look like he's crying or something when he really isn't. While continuing to walk to Kimetsu High, he encounters a familiar looking girl. She's wearing a Kimetsu High uniform, but one made specifically for second years. Her hair is black, and in the two ponytails pinned by two butterfly hairpins. It takes Tanjiro a bit of time to notice her presence, but he does so eventually.

"Oh... you're Aoi, right? The girl from the diner yesterday?", Tanjiro asks her, wanting to inquire if she is the same girl from yesterday or not. A brief smile appears on Tanjiro's face, but it quickly fades away. The ponytailed girl nods her head in response to Tanjiro's question, and flashes a small smirk.

"That I am.", Aoi answers. They both continue to make their way to Kimetsu High while staying quiet in the process. After a while of silence, Aoi clears her throat a bit sarcastically. 

"So, where's your girlfriend?", Aoi asks Tanjiro teasingly. Tanjiro yawns before answering, causing his eyes to get a bit teary.

"What do you mean?", Tanjiro says quietly. His brain seems to not be functioning properly at the moment, due to his tiredness. Aoi does notice this detail of Tanjiro, but continues to push on with her previous question. 

"I meant Kanao, obviously. Are you tired or something?", Aoi questions. Tanjiro just stares blankly at Aoi for a second before nodding. His eyes are a bit teary, and his eyelids keep drooping down. He forgot about the fact that Aoi mentioned Kanao, but his brain doesn't process that. Aoi nods again while seeing this, and closely examines Tanjiro's current condition. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that Tanjiro is really tired. Aoi assumes that he and Kanao must have been up late last night or something, which makes a bit of sense in her mind.

The two of them stay silent on their way to school. It's kind of awkward, but the both of them don't address that. Eventually, both Aoi and Tanjiro reach the gates of Kimetsu High, where they are both met by Zenitsu. He got chosen to be a Disciplinary Committee officer despite not wanting to, so he ends up doing uniform checks every morning. A small smile appears on his face as he sees Tanjiro, but he just glances while looking at Aoi. He lets Aoi pass, but halts Tanjiro for a second.

"Tanjiro, you do know that you can't wear earring at this school, right?", Zenitsu questions, asking if Tanjiro genuinely knows the rules or not. Tanjiro wearily darts his eyes in Zenitsu's direction before giving him a very quick nod. Zenitsu sighs, knowing full well that Tanjiro is obviously breaking one of the main rules that this school makes everyone follow. While scribbling something down on his wooden board.

"Fine. I'll let you off the hook, just because we're friends. But don't get me wrong, I can't do this for you forever, okay?", Zenitsu states. Tanjiro nods once again and then begins to walk inside the building of Kimetsu High. So far, the day seems pretty normal. Nothing bad has happened. Yet.

As Tanjiro begins to get the things he needs from his locker for the day, he darts his head towards the big clock in the middle. 

"6:45... still 15 minutes until homeroom starts.", Tanjiro thinks to himself. He sets all the things he doesn't need at the current moment into his locker before beginning to walk to the direction of his class. While walking to his homeroom, Tanjiro finally realizes how tired he is right now. After a bit of thinking, he concludes that his fatigue might be worse than he originally thought. Like, he might collapse and fall asleep any second, kind of bad.