Chapter Ten

10.
Chapter Ten : Laundry Day

Izuku doesn't sleep much that night. He's far too busy thinking about countless negative possibilities to sleep. What if she accepts Kacchan's proposal? He would ask himself. What if he takes her away from me? What if I wasted too much time being a coward to confess?

Izuku tossed and turned in his temporary bed, anxious to get a start on the day and find out if whether or not she made a decision.

By the time the sun rises, Izuku hadn't slept a wink. He spent the entire night trapped in his head, thinking and picturing a future where Y/n was Katsuki's—where she mothered his children and made him all of the pie in the world. How could he sleep when he was thinking of a Hell like that?

Warm sunlight leaks through the tall windows in his room as birds start to chirp outside. Izuku can hear the chickens yelling from within the chicken coop, cows mooing in the distance, and drunken fools already causing a scene in town.

Izuku sits up in his bed and yawns. He runs a hand over his prickly head then extends his arms to properly stretch properly, earning himself a handful of crunchy pops and cracks from his stiff joins. His body relaxes and soon, he's feeling ten times better than he was before.

After sitting there for another moment, Izuku climbs out of bed and starts getting ready for the day ahead.

Today is a Saturday, meaning Y/n will be home all day. Thank God. So with that thought in mind, Izuku gets a head start on the morning chores. He wants to give Y/n the chance to sleep in without worrying about the chickens or breakfast.

The pain in Izuku's leg reminds him to take things slow. After all, it's still broken and it needs time to heal. He leaves his crutches in his temporary bedroom and takes his time hobbling out to the empty kitchen.

He stops for a moment to think, trying to remember what comes first. Breakfast prep or chickens? When his mother was alive, she always made breakfast first then took care of the animals. Y/n might do it differently though. Does it really matter? He ponders, looking out to the chicken coop.

Izuku goes through the motions of letting the chickens out and collecting the eggs after a short moment of deep thought. Afterwards, he'll walk around the house to the barn where he breaks up a bale of hay and delivers a slice to each of the animals inhabiting the barn. He hasn't milked a cow in two years, but he sits down in the cow's stall nonetheless and goes to town.

By eight AM, he's back inside with a heavy bucket of fresh milk and a basket of eggs. He's in the process of putting the eggs away when he starts to hear the stairs creak. Izuku looks over his shoulder just in time to see Y/n come down the stairs, still wearing her nightgown and still half asleep.

"Good morning." He calls out, turning back around.

"Morning." Y/n yawns, "What are you doing up so early? It's a Saturday..."

Izuku nods, "I know. I wanted to let you sleep in. Any requests for breakfast?"

Y/n takes a seat at the dining table with another yawn. She leans back into her seat and watches with blurry vision as he takes care of this morning's harvest. She isn't all that hungry, but she'd rather eat now than later. "Mitski gave me some grain this past Tuesday, and I recently got some fresh strawberries. Is pourage okay?" She finally responds after a moment.

"Yeah that's fine."

The two fall into a comfortable silence. While Izuku works on breakfast, Y/n tries to wake up. She sets her head in the palms of her hands and analyzes the rough grain of the wood that makes up the kitchen table, willing the drowsiness looming over her head to go away.