21. putting a face to the name

↳ chapter twenty-one ₊˚

↳ chapter twenty-one ₊˚.༄
[# putting a face to the name]

IT WAS NO SURPRISE THAT THE TAXI COULDN'T TAKE THEM ALL THE WAY TO the top, given their luck so far. The cab made lurching, grinding sounds as it climbed the mountain road, and halfway up they found the ranger's station closed, a chain blocking the way.

"Far as I can go," the cabbie said. "You sure about this? Gonna be a long walk back, and my car's acting funny. I can't wait for you."

"We're sure." Leo nodded as he stepped out of the car.

Iana was quick to follow and her gaze fell to the ground, the wheels sinking into the road like it was made out of quicksand. But the road was hard-packed dirt. No reason at all it should have been soft, but already her shoes were starting to sink. Gaea was messing with them.

Leo paid as the rest of her friends got out, being extra generous with the cash. She met his eye and it was clear to the both of them. They might never be coming off this mountain.

"Keep the change," he said. "And get out of here. Quick."

The driver didn't argue. Soon all they could see was his dust trail.

The view from the mountain would've been breathtaking on any other day. The whole inland valley around Mount Diablo was a patchwork of towns— grids of tree lined streets and nice middle-class suburbs, shops, and schools. A string tugged at her heart— she missed having a normal life with her father. Another string tugged. She hadn't seen him in months.

"That's Concord," Jason's voice brought her out of her thoughts, pointing to the north. "Walnut Creek below us. To the south, Danville, past those hills. And that way..." He pointed west, where a ridge of golden hills held back a layer of fog, like the rim of a bowl. "That's the Berkeley Hills. The East Bay. Past that, San Francisco."

"Jason?" Piper placed a hand on his shoulder. "You remember something? You've been here?"

"Yes... no." He gave her an anguished look. "It just seems important."

"That's Titan land." Coach Hedge nodded toward the west. "Bad place, Jason. Trust me, this is as close to 'Frisco as we want to get."

Jason only continued to look toward the foggy basin, longing for something. But Coach Hedge had said it was the Titan's land. Why would he miss something in a place so evil?

Iana tried to move toward Leo, but her foot had gotten caught in the earth. Noticing her struggle, Leo helped pull her toward him. "Guys," the short haired girl drew their attention. "We should probably get going. "

The others noticed the problem. They were sinking.

"Gaea is stronger here," Hedge grumbled. He popped his hooves free from his shoes, then handed the shoes to Leo. "Keep those for me, Valdez. They're nice."