Chapter 8

I've been staring at the map on the kitchen table in front of me since five am, furiously scribbling ideas onto a piece of paper beside it

I've been staring at the map on the kitchen table in front of me since five am, furiously scribbling ideas onto a piece of paper beside it. Every now and again I've scratched the pencil through it all and started again.

And now, six hours later, I think I'm happy with my plan. The first plan, anyway.

People have been in and out of the kitchen all morning, muttering pleasantries to me. Lyla forced an apple into my hand, pleading with me to eat something.

Whilst we were out setting the fire last night, a small group ventured into Nottingham, scrounging some extra food supplies from anywhere they could find. Fresh fruit in December is a rarity. I enjoyed every last morsel of the breakfast. 

I'm nervous to gather everyone, to tell them where I've planned to send them, what they need to do. Who's to say that any of them are going to listen to me... It's hardly like they've had to before. And even though Zac and Emilia told them that this was the way things were going to go, it doesn't mean they have to stick to it.

I sit back, straightening my spine and taking a deep breath. My eyes close.

This is what Zac and Emilia wanted. They believed in me. Riley believed in me. They all chose me.

I have to make them proud. I have to deliver something... something for them to come back to.

Nodding, I push the chair backwards and stand.

"I thought you were never going to move from that seat."

"Jesus!" My hand flies to my chest as I whirl on my heel to find Carl and Pippa watching me from the far corner. Pippa's sitting on the edge of the counter, while Carl slouches against the doorframe, both smiling, both of their eyes twinkling. "How long have you been there?"

Carl shrugs as Pippa answers, "Long enough. Did you even sleep last night?"

"Three hours," I grumble back at them, crossing my arms across my chest. "Maybe I'll sleep better if people stop creeping up on me."

"Hey!" Pippa lifts her arms in surrender. "This was the first time."

"And the last," I reply.

Carl grins, using his shoulder to push his body away from the frame before striding towards me. "What have you been working on?"

"A plan," I reply softly.

Hesitantly, he points a finger at the table. "May I?"

I purse my lips. He's given me no reason to doubt him so far, and right now, I'm doubting myself enough to yearn for some type of feedback. I never knew I'd crave Emilia's blunt retorts or Zac's judgemental expression so quickly. At least they were always truthful.

"Sure," I reply. He nods, picking up the scribbled, crumbled up piece of paper and letting his eyes trawl over the words. My gaze trails up to the cracked white ceiling of the farmhouse kitchen with bated breath.