Chapter 25

Billy, the self-appointed head of gardening, points down the road towards the grass field that runs alongside the stables, telling me why it would be the best place to erect a greenhouse

Billy, the self-appointed head of gardening, points down the road towards the grass field that runs alongside the stables, telling me why it would be the best place to erect a greenhouse. He's struggling to grow anything inside the stables, with everywhere being too cold. Not only would a greenhouse work in the summer, but if it's this close to the stables, he can hook it up to the wind and solar powered electricity we have here.

I nod at his words, agreeing before he practically squeals with glee, asking when he can leave the Abbey to get the materials that he'll need.

"Kayla!" My name is suddenly yelled through the courtyard and I blink, turning to see Pete jogging towards me.

I tell Billy that I'll think about it and he wanders off before I reply to Pete. "What is it?" 

"It... it's Lyla," he says, coming to a stop in front of me.

I furrow my brow, standing up straighter and waiting for him to continue. What did the traitorous leech do now?

"She... she just admitted..." Pete trails off. I wave my hand in the air, gesturing for him to continue. "She's a spy," he confirms. "She was the one who told the Enforcers that we were planning to attack the store the night we lost eleven people."

I suck in a breath. Bitch.

"And..." He trails off. "I..."

"Spit. It. Out." I snap. I don't have much patience today. Or any day recently...

"She said that back during that first night you were in charge — the one where they all went South, that while you and Carl got out of the truck to douse the rope with petrol and set fire to the hospital, she used a phone provided by the New State to let them know what was about to happen. How we were trying to get through the wall."

"Freaking bitch," I snap, lifting my hand and running it through my hair.

"We have retrieved the phone from her room," he adds.

I nod. "Good."

"I..." Suddenly he looks nervous. Since when did Pete ever look nervous about anything?

I grit my teeth and ask, "What?"

I'm wary now.

Pete looks down at his feet, closing his eyes before they lift once more to meet mine. I'm shocked by the anger that fills them. "She says that because of that message, they were able to get thirty more Enforcers to the gate, to try and stop them from going South."

My ears ring. I blink up at him, trying to process the words.

"Are... Are you saying," I murmur, "that because of her, there were too many Enforcers for Zac and Riley to fight their way through? That without her, he would be alive?"

His gaze simmers. "Potentially."

Potentially.

Blood fills my ears and my body stiffens as the word sinks into my soul. I turn on my heel, clenching my hands into fists and I storm back towards the main house.