Chapter 13

There's no trepidation in my mind as I drive the truck down the road towards the stately home that we're planning to attack

There's no trepidation in my mind as I drive the truck down the road towards the stately home that we're planning to attack. I — and the twelve people in the vehicle with me — am twenty minutes behind the two initial trucks, containing Jesse, the other Enforcers, Pete, Ryan, Carl and fifteen others. They went ahead, attempting to infiltrate the fence through the front gate as planned.

There's, of course, a tug of worry pulling on my heartstrings. I don't know what I'd do if I lost Carl. And everyone else is quickly becoming my dysfunctional, enormous family. I've made a point to get to know everyone, to understand where they've come from and what they want to achieve from being here.

Some are only with us for safety, for freedom from the tyrannical rule of the State, some want to fight, some are using us to help them find family that were spread across the North... whatever it is, I'm determined to help every single one of them.

I've been so lucky up until now, I can't afford to make a mistake.

Any losses would break me far more than anything I've already experienced. My fingers toy with the chain around my neck, gripping onto the metal tags and lifting them to my lips.

"Give me strength," I whisper against the warm metal, squeezing them tightly before letting them drop to my chest.

I neutralise my facial expression as I pull off the road and into a side field, pulling the truck to a swift stop and turning the key. Shoving the door open, I hop out, making my way to the back and gratefully taking a gun from the woman at the back. She hands me some knives, and a smaller gun before turning her attention to the others.

Stepping backwards, I stretch my arms up towards the sky and tilt my head to the side, stretching out my muscles and readying myself for battle.

Catching sight of myself in the truck window, I freeze, letting my arms drop to my sides. My blonde hair is pulled back into a braid, various weapons are strapped to my black trouser clad legs.

I could almost pass for Lara Croft. If Lara Croft had tiny boobs. And blonde hair. And a scar decorating her cheek.

I purse my lips, turning back to the group and gesturing for them to follow me towards the road.

We stick to the hedgerows, inching closer and closer to the entrance and my breath sticks in my throat as we duck under a brick bridge. There are a couple of overgrown houses that have been overrun by ivy and plants, and just in front lies an old brown road sign directing us to turn off for Calke Abbey.

This is it.

Moment of truth.

"Let's go," I utter behind me, lifting my gun out of it's holster and cocking it before following the brick wall around to the left, my heart in my mouth. We're tiptoeing to the best of our ability, but as we reach the metal gate and brick archways, there's not a single person around to tell us whether our side has won, or lost.