Chapter 12

Pulling my hand back, I curl it into a fist before slamming it forward, watching as the punchbag anchors backwards, pain swelling through my knuckles

I don't let up, slamming the other hand forward before leaning backwards and trying all over again. The bag swings back and forth as I continue to punch, my breathing heavy, my legs tiring as I bend them slightly.

"I'm surprised. It looks like you're improving."

I spin on my heel at the sound of the familiar deep voice. Shock fills every inch of my body, mouth dropping open at the sight of the tall, tattooed blonde leaning against the entrance to the barn.

"You're back," I say breathlessly. A grin spreads across his face, and he nods. "You're back!" I repeat, punchbag forgotten as I launch myself across the room. Riley doesn't even have time to open his arms before I wrap my own around his neck, pressing my body tightly to his. My eyes close and I squeeze tighter as his hands move to rest on my waist. "I can't believe you're back," I utter. "Are the others with you?" I pull my head back to look up into his bright, sparkling eyes.

He shakes his head, lifting one hand and resting it against my cheek. "You really need to shift your feet more when you punch—"

"Shut up," I exclaim, rocketing myself up, onto my tiptoes and capturing his lips with my own. An instant moan claws its way up my throat but I stifle it as my heart flutters. His lips are softer than I remember, but the force behind them is anything but. It's been two and a half weeks since I last felt his lips, but it feels like a lifetime. There's desperation pouring out of me, and I'm leaning in as far as I can, scared he'll disappear at any moment.

Just before I stumble, his hand tightens on my hip, gliding around to the small of my back and holding me against him. My lips part and he inches towards me, claiming my bottom lip with his teeth. My head spins, hands moving to his hair, tugging at the blonde roots, keeping him close as he deepens the kiss.

Too soon, it comes to an end, both of us breathing heavily as he leans down, resting against my forehead.

"Kayla," Riley murmurs against my lips. "My little truck driver. You took Killmoor."

I smile, not daring to move. "I did," I whisper.

"Utterly fucking incredible," he replies before darting his chin forward and kissing me all over again.

There are birds chirping in the distance, distracting me as Riley's hands slip further south, clasping at my ass and hauling our lower bodies together. I gasp at the feel of him — hard, already.

This time, I don't stifle the moan, letting it vibrate over his tongue instead.

A brash cough joins the birds chirping and I grimace.

What the hell? Leave me the hell alone.

Another cough.

More birds chirping.