Chapter 19 - Rippled Embers

"Looking for something to do this Thursday night?

See the best of Elementopia tonight at our annual town photo cruise!

Set your camera to exploration mode with the dazzling CBD. Capture the quaintness of Pebblebrook. Make memories at our gorgeous Coral Isle. But most importantly, be a part of the vibrant Red Light District-- a must for any Elementopian.

Tickets and spaces are limited, so get yours--"

Feed lost. Refresh?

"What the--"

Morning #4. Blessed with a rather comforting evening the night prior, both Wade and Ember found themselves in a better headspace. But perhaps not at this moment, as the two found themselves minutes from starting work for the day.

Over at the EBID HQ, Wade sat slumped on the couch in the staff area, surfing through his phone to use up the last few minutes before work. That is until an advert on his Elementsagram feed broke his flow, triggering his anxious tendencies...

"Dang phone... what's with this thing?" he queried.

That wasn't the first time the damned thing played up that morning. In fact, on the bus on the way there, his cell service kept dropping in and out. Had this happened to Ember a whole lot of elemental folks would be in trouble. But this was Wade; keeper of the cool, goer with the flow. Mostly. This was certainly a test of his patience.

"Ripple!"

Wade instantly leapt up out of his slumber, straightening himself up as Mutrick stared him down, like always. Wade got to his feet, standing straight like a soldier.

"We got a quiet day today, so you're Groucho's problem," Mutrick told.

Wade dusted himself off, looking at Mutrick with a face of perplexion.

"Groucho's problem?" he asked.

"Somethin' about a job for you. I wouldn't know. The guy's an enigma." Mutrick answered.

Wade slung his satchel to his torso and stood slightly hunched in curiosity. Mutrick's eyes locked dead on as his bumbling subordinate walked over to Groucho's office - the two exchanging such looks after a while. Wade stared at Mutrick defensively as he pushed the office door open...

-----

"About time."

"What? I thought I was on time?"

"Oh-- you were. I just felt like saying it."

"Oh-kay."

As it turned out, Ember's current dealings weren't too dissimilar to her dewdrops. She arrived to work, walking into the little study room she worked in the day prior. She slung her bag to her torso, taking a seat at her desk.

Luckily for her, her superior had already parked himself to the side of her desk. Already feeling pressured from the get-go, she slowly looked toward Phil in a standoffish, thrown-off manner.

"My apologies, Ms Lumen. I'm just-- inquisitive." Phil apologized.

Ember raised an eyebrow as she put her bag onto her desk, unpacking her items including her exam draft design. 

As she laid it out on the desk, Phil hovered over her shoulder.

"Mhmm... uh-huh... hmm!" he sounded.

Distracted, Ember sternly put down her utensils sharply, slowly looking at Phil in an antsy way.

"Could you stop doing that?" she requested.