Chapter 5

"And why are you here maggot?" The Sargent shouted so loud it made Armin quiver in his boots.

"I'm here to defeat the mermaids and help mankind." All the recruits were lined up as Erwin and Levi walked to the side and examined them all." Doesn't look like any of these brats have what it takes to kill a mermaid," Levi let out a tch sound.

"I think I agree with-"

" What is your name Cadet?" Both Levi and Erwin stopped to take a look at the black haired recruit.

"Mikasa Ackeman sir." Mikasa was calm as always, so calm it took them all by surprise.

"What about that one, has the same last name as you, maybe a relative?"

"No. I changed my last name, so we wouldn't be."

"Still looks like you."

Levi scowled at him. "Well we'll wait and see if her skills match up to yours. I think this will get quite interesting."

"Everyone I wanna see you run till sunset, anyone who slows down has to clean all the decking," Levi glared at everyone and watched them run and run an run, eventually they some started to slow down and take a breath, some collapsed on the floor 3 hours before sunset but one was still running never falling behind. Mikasa Ackerman.
Even though he wouldn't like to admit it he was impressed, there was almost like she was eager to use her legs, exited to use them as much as she could.

"Ackerman." Levi halted her.

"Sir?" Mikasa tried to keep her mouth her usual straight line, fighting the erg to strangle him to death.

"Quite strong aren't you," he narrowed his eyes," 100 press ups." She froze for a minute.

"What are press ups?" Levi was quite taken back, she seemed like the type of person who would wake up and do a couple of sets.

"Is your head as hollow as a gun barrel?" He let out a sigh." Whatever, you... Did good work Ackerman, go get a rest," Mikasa couldn't hold back a small smirk, he'd just complemented the enemy, stupid shorty.

"Do you still refuse to tell us anything about the mermaid that you were meeting with?"
Erwin said calmly.

"I'll never tell!" Eren was covered in bruises from torture and felt like he was going to starve to death.

"Are you sure? I guess your going without food for another day."

"Fine by me." Eren scowled.

"What about the color of their tail, if you tell us that we'll give you some food."

Eren had a confused look on his face," are you guys idiots, how will that information benefit for you? Fine they had a black tail, and you'll never get them you won't be able to see them in the water. Give up now!" Eren looked at the smirking man.

"Mike, give him a meal, don't want him dying on us. He has lots of information," Erwin left the room and was startled by Levi lent across a wall waiting for him.

"What did the best tell you?"

"We've got a black tail."

Levi's eyes twitched," Shit." He closed his eyes for a second," we better teach the newbies about tail colors."

Mikasa sat next to Armin in a room what looked like a classroom. "What are we doing in here?" Mikasa whispered to Armin.

"Probably going to teach us something about mermaids, you'll know it all already." Right listen up brats, today we're going to learn about mermaid tail colours," Levi stood at the front of the class.

"What does this have to do with hunting us. Tail colors have nothing to say with our skills, they're all unique like humans with hair colors," Mikasa and Armin shared a confused look.

" There are many colors and they all improve a skill of the mermaid, like how blue tails are good leaders and thinkers, orange have amazing aim and usually seen with a bow, green can easily heal and can't catch the usual mermaid illnesses."
"Is this true Mikasa?" Armin asked her.

"I-I think it is. I was never told about it but Sasha is best with a bow, Connie's never been sick in his life then what is blac-" Mikasa was cut off realising that Levi was giving them a cold stare.

"Why are you talking, this could save your pathetic lives." Mikasa and Armin froze.

"W-we er... weren't talking sir," Armin managed to choke out.

"You think I'm an idiot? If you're so smart and don't need to listen will you mind telling the class what a black tail can do?" Armin stared at Mikasa hoping she knew but she didn't she searched her brain for things that was different to her when she was with others. What was her ability?

"They're strong sir." Mikasa hoped it was right, she didn't want to get Armin in trouble.

"Correct. What else is special when it comes to black tails?" Mikasa thought of all the times when she was with her friends, trying to connect the dots, this annoying man had captured one of her friends and she wasn't ready to look dumb in front of him." They are rare?" Levi slanted his eyebrow, how did she know?

"Not even that, they're extinct. Well we thought they were but there's one in these waters, they are the deadliest mermaid out there, since your all new I would suggest staying away from those," Levi looked at Mikasa with curious eyes," good job, but if I catch you talking again I'll make you clean the decks with a toothbrush."

" yes sir," Mikasa said this with a little smile on her face, Levi was annoyed by this, people always tremble when he speaks to people like that.

"So what even is your plan here. How are we going to rescue Eren?" Mikasa sat in Armin's doom room.

"I'll keep getting closer to that shorty until I get close enough to kill him, then we'll rescue Eren and by the end of the week I'll turn back into a mermaid and give the girl who gave me the potion his head, maybe then she'll give me something to stay human." Mikasa was exited about the plan but Armin seemed a bit concerned.

"But how are you going to get him alone in a week?"

"I'll just ask him for some extra fighting practice problem solved."

"Okay Mikasa, I believe in you."