Part 8

"She-She abandoned us to go work with the humans?" Hanji let out a crestfallen cry.

"Yes, I'm afraid so, I saw her sneak off one night to meet with a human they said that they were going to rat your hiding place out attack it and kill every mermaid," Annie frowned and rubbed her eyes," they-they caught me and forced me into making a potion for Mikasa to turn into a human, they tortured me," Annie broke out into a sob, she buried her face on Hanji's tail as she stroked her hair.

"Mikasa would never do that!" Connie denied.

"Yeah Mikasa may like human things but she loves us!" Sasha backed up Connie.

Annie let out a small scowl before backing away in fear from the," H-hanji! They helped Mikasa!" Hanji looked at them in confusion then in hate.

"No! She's lying!" They called out.

"Of course, you always covered for Mikasa. You traitors!" Hanji's eyes stared at the two mer people with disgust,"  Guards! Take them out of my sight."

"No Hanji you have to believe us!"

"Please Hanji!" Hanji turned her head away feeling betrayed. They were dragged away leaving Hanji and Annie alone.

"We are going to war. Tomorrow at sunr-"

"No. They have a lot of men," Annie paused and gulped," they have Levi Ackerman."

Hanji was taken back," We cant win then. Mikasa was our only hope to beat him and now she's turned on us."

"No on Friday I heard that Levi takes a break of guard, he usually sleeps all day and so do most of the crew," Hanji bit here lip trying hard to believe Annie's words.

"Fine. We'll attack in five days."

"Yes, five days."

Mikasa pierced the tender looking steak and looked at it with curiosity, Levi waited patiently for her too try it. With a final gulp, she scrunched up her eyes and placed it into her mouth. Mikasa opened her eyes with surprise , this was the best thing she'd ever tried, the juices mixed with the rough but soothing texture, the crispy edges crumbling in her mouth, it was the best thing she'd ever tasted. "This is amazing!" She started to gulp down more pieces.

Levi smirked," Knew you'd like."

Mikasa looked up puzzled," How?"

"Well you looked like the type of person who would eat meat all the time," Mikasa looked at him hurt.

"Are you calling me fat?!" Mikasa scowled.

"No, no, no I didn't mean it like that. I meant your quite strong for your age..."

"18"

"And meat helps build strength."

"Oh" There was a moment of silence as Mikasa chewed the final piece of meat, the silence ended with Levi asking," What is that brat Eren to you? Is he your... boyfriend?"

Mikasa looked at him confused," Well he is my friend and a boy so yes he is and so is Armin."

Levi sighed and shook his head," Not like that, a boyfriend is a boy you're romantically involved with."

"Then no, he's kind of like a brother," Levi felt a twinge of relief,' Wait why am I happy she's not with him?' Levi wondered.

"How did you not know what a boyfriend was?"

"Er, well where im from they're called amore syreni," Mikasa thought back to all those times when she would want to be asked out by someone, all those times she'd wanted to be with someone she thinks they were the most idiotic thing she'd ever thought of, it was never true love or what her kind would call Amare.

"Where are you from?" This caught Mikasa off guard, she couldn't just say the sea, she thought frantically of countries but she never really talked about them, suddenly she remembered her child hood, how her mother told her stories about where she used to swim, it was the Marginal seas of the Pacific Ocean, next to a country called...

"Japan."

Levi grunted," Would explain the black hair." Levi drank the rest of his tea," Well it's getting late, I would suggest getting to sleep now." Levi walked off, not turning back Mikasa stared at him as he walked away and smiled, Just 5 more days and then you wont be able to hurt anyone again.

Just 5 more days.