Part 2-Chapter 2-In the past

I want you to picture yourself as being extraordinarily wealthy, or rather, as having a wealthy family. What do you imagine? The Great Gatsby's Tom and Daisy's home, or something much more straightforward like a three- to four-million-dollar listing for a celebrity's home in Beverly Hills, California? There is a distinction, in that one contains a polo club and forty earthen archers while the other is just a basic residence that is six thousand square feet in size. Perhaps with a tennis court or a pool.

Although Lyn was unconventional, this is a different tale. She was given access to possibilities and was reared with connections. Indeed, her aunt was incredibly wealthy. She didn't live in the ultra-rich tier, but she was still quite wealthy, with a ten-million-dollar net worth that she had accumulated from her successful business. Lyn's aunt was a successful businesswoman who owned a variety of businesses, including a used car dealership, a start-up bakery in the center of the city, home to the food market, and, most recently, a catering business in partnership with Park Hotels. Her first business was a cleaning company called Hands Clean, which she later expanded into a small franchise. With her riches also comes gambling, which she engages in pretty frequently but not excessively. She had access to a private area and would go to whatever casino she desired. She once won one million on a scratch-off at the neighborhood 7–11, using the money to pay cash for a five-hundred-thousand-dollar yacht. It wasn't often, but people thought she laundered money. In reality, it was her personal trainer's husband. No, no it wasn't money laundering, she was a stranger to the FBI. In simple terms, it was hard work. And allow me to be cliche: the sweat of her brow.

Designer brands: Neiman Marcus, Kate Spade, Micheal Kors, Louis Vuitton, Balenciaga, Lyn grew up with all of that. It was almost a surplus. Never a deficit.

Luxury. With most people, luxury can be quite subjective. Yes, you could live a nice lifestyle if your income was in the hundreds of thousands. But, it can also be easily removed.

On the other hand, aside from her possessions, Lyn was modest and nice; she never boasted in front of others, making it impossible to discern that she came from a wealthy family. Most people assume that those who lead a life typical of the wealthy and famous never have anything to worry about; however, this is not the case. It keeps getting harder and harder, which is quite aggravating. The brain begins to be ravaged by fear. Yet as of just now, Lyn had nothing to dread or worry about.

She had friends to live with—to laugh with: her best friend, Teresa Flemming, although they did have a fiery relationship. She had her aunt (whenever not occupied conducting business). But Lyn was single; she didn't have someone who cared for her the way she yearns to care for someone in return. No one was transfixed upon her, never locked eyes, never generated that feeling. It was sad at times, yet she was accustomed to it. It was a lonely feeling. But, her friends and her aunt would always come to her aid and play games—just as a family. Movies, board games, card games— her favorite being Five Crowns; it was the mystery of the outcome that drew her into the participation.

Laughter would echo and resonate through the house. But my question to you is; why must it be this way? Yes, it was a happy scene, but why? What made it come to this? It was an unfortunate event. Very much so. The whole world took an abrupt halt in its operation. One could never guess.

The world cried the smile turned into a frown. Black tears poured from the sky.

There was no God. Because, I will tell you, this right now—if there was, this would not happen.

I don't advocate heresy, but has our case for faith run its course? He never shows up. Eve made a mistake. As a result of eating the forbidden fruit, she earned free choice, causing God to leave and cease all further interference with humans.

I don't want to mix up religion and opinion here, but religion is an interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance. Nobody knows, but it might have been a significant strategy. The Wishing Star wasn't to blame for this. No star light, star bright. You can counter that it's not casual, but I wonder what might happen if she wished. What if she wished as she closed her eyes?

Unfortunately, nothing could be changed. Even the joy—or should I say enhanced joy?—in her life couldn't take away the pain of their passing.