Chapter 2-In The present

William White was a serial killer, who was now making his way very discreetly through the square full of inventions. He distanced himself from the people because he was wanted for his crimes against the country.

The sun was shining in the mid-afternoon. The sky was blue and the grass was green. The sun's rays had a vague and stray feeling, like tin or brass shining through a curtain.

The alleyway was dark and comforting, surrounding him like a heavy-weight blanket providing some security to the afternoon sun as he watched the commotion ahead of him. It was the beginning of the commotion, not the climax, still, he was rather curious. But there was a sense of worry in his being. Maybe trepidation.

William White had been running around this city for a long time, evading, and keeping himself free from the police. He had not murdered a family for almost twenty-one years; he had before then stopped. He had snuck in, at a time when the neighborhood was in primetime, no one minding anyone's business other than themselves. The moon overhead, the world black signaling the end of the work day, people catching the early journey into tomorrow; currently, as the hosts and a visitor were downstairs conversing amicably over a glass of recent 19 Crimes wine. It's the kind of night you'd rather be curled up somewhere with a cool drink in one hand than running around with a steaming coffee in your other hand. But the glass of red wine you have in front of you is the perfect color of red, its hue dark and rich like a bowl of ripe cherries.

While that is just in-text symbolism.

He barely moved a few meters out of the protection of his alleyway because he was so curious.

The people stood and scowled at the man standing at the podium. William White had not heard it, but as the seconds rang out in his ears and in the expanse of space, he noticed a shift. No, not all of them, but a small group of individuals who were strolling and inspecting inventions suddenly stopped and started to turn toward the tiny stage in front of them.