Chapter 3-In the past

William White's grandmother and himself sat in the sitting room of her suburban house many miles away from Krye Park. William White would recall this from his younger years, but her words would have no bearing on him. It was only her influence.

"Let's just hope your father comes home with a decent girlfriend this time," the grandmother said, whilst she sat on the cushioned armchair assuming the role of matriarch. Crown to crown in the exotic gallery, over the tapestry wall, the sweet colors woven and the light passing overhead, fierce and brilliant, the crown above it, the motionless ruler seated on her throne. A false ruler, a usurper who had taken advantage of this situation and molded it to her liking like clay. There was nothing a leader could do without her permission, so she had woven the whole world into inescapable rhythms.

William White sat on the couch next to her with his knees bowed, partially drawing the curtain so he could see outside.

"Mommy... were the other ones not good?"

The Matriarch cast a quick look toward the window and took a moment to formulate her thoughts in terms a child could comprehend, "let us just say that none of them were good enough for me. But Danielle, I liked her." Her voice was rich and low, welcoming like a mother to her child.

"Where has he been?" William White said.

There was no hesitation, but if one were to see her pupils of a brilliant green, they would notice only lies filled them. "Gone."

"Gone?" William White said, with the innocence a child still has briefly in time before reality finally sets, like paint.

"Yes, gone. Off, I should say. Leaving me with you." He was in the military, off doing his responsibility, but that was not needed.

William White removed his hand from the window and turned to sit normally on the couch then uttered a question that would scare most, or plague them into uncertainty. "Did he abandon me?"

The dictator moved with almost balletic grace, a swagger in the step. Her posture conveyed confidence, a confidence that spoke of importance, power, and position toward her child.