Chapter 4

I read a novel once in school; it was a class assignment. It somehow reminded me of the city I live in. Its name: The Handmaid's Tale.

I had to write an essay regarding how established orders could vanish overnight, how the establishment of religion tying into nature affects it so, and how this novel was a prime example.

If I were so lucky to write that essay once more, I might use Krye Park as a source for comparison. Not to say Krye Park was a victim of overnight fading and being replaced or influenced by religion, but by the fact of how a society might change in any way. Of how it might change its operations to suit its main man. Even when it's said to suit the betterment of the community. To suit its stylistic changes of leadership as a whole. Or just to better the town itself.

Now, it could be said that the community of Krye Park has further improved since its major decision, but I am no longer sure. The oligarch style of leadership of this city is no longer visible.

The mayor used to be seen, walking the street, at the stores shopping for groceries. Since then and after the terrorist threats and also several attacks, he and his city council have gone away, behind the double glass doors of city hall.

I used to think of him as a celebrity. A rare pleasure to meet and greet with power in the palm of their hands; as most celebrities are. He made the entire city— he made me feel seen and heard in some aspects. Now, the terrorists have made me feel weak and afraid, and vulnerable. At one point, when an attack had freshly been done at a local wedding, killing two people, I had been left thinking nothing, no matter how small, was safe. Or if tomorrow would come or not. Think about it. If you put it in perspective, they could be anyone—hiding in plain sight. You don't want to know who it would be. It would scare you. Most would want to carry out their day in peace completely oblivious. And his only response to the malicious attacks was an evacuation.

It's not difficult to realize that this is not a typical metropolis. Yes, people were permitted to leave, but even leaving the city limits requires a difficult procedure. A blockade of officers wearing the Krye Park officers badge is stationed at the main road that goes in and out, as seen in the majority of major motion pictures where the governor has blocked state boundaries. According to a proverb, "All roads lead to hell." Since all of our routes lead to this exit—this is how Krye Park was intended—this could be used in that context. And the background checks that were to be required were the main goal of this blockage. If you were a bomber, they wanted to make sure you couldn't try to flee and get caught in the process. They had claimed that it was all for protection. They were accepted by the populace, and it was successful. All of their actions were taken in the interest of safety and the survival of this industrial giant.

I had first come across this blockade years ago when my aunt and I went on vacation. Was that even legal? I said to both the blockade and about us leaving. Did they have the power and authority to carry out this invasion? And did we have the freedom and ability to physically leave the boundaries of this unorthodox city? Although, I was younger back then.

On the other hand, it didn't take a lawyer to decide on the evacuation. I remember when that was carried out. It was all chaos

Is that even legal? In any way is it though? I am decent in my academics, but I am incoherent in my law. The mayor has powers to enable a curfew, the same as the police, but does he have the power to force denizens from their property; or is that a slight overstep of his local power? I wonder what would happen if he were to run and get elected to the office of governor. Just how much would he overstep then? Would he order the national guard to attack the terrorists?

We were okay when we departed, according to my relative. They will let us through, so there is no need to be concerned. A big, heavily built officer requested her driver's license as soon as we approached the barricade, which was only a few feet from the outside. We were permitted to continue on our merry way after passing through the scanner, which was connected to a laptop because we were not militants with malicious intent.

As we went on our way, and followed the road as it winded down, we had a conversation–my aunt and me.

Wait, I had said. Why would they do this? Never mind what she said. But they have no right to do this. Someone ought to say something. But on the other hand, let's just hope they apprehend those terrorists. I remember what it was like before all this, even before all the chaos. I had to fire many of my workers since they couldn't afford the living expenses of the city. Many of my businesses almost failed. It may have been a dangerous time before, but way before that, it was almost calm. The only thing was not the shouts of people managing their way through the streets. Still, I would rather have this than return to before, where every day was a mystery of life or death.

Why hasn't the news spread to another city or even the governor?

No idea, this is strange. we have to think of this legally; did he have the power to enact the curfew, yes. But did he have the authority to enact a mass evacuation? No, I don't think so. There is only one reason he could have pursued this path: integrity was absent. It is absent. Seldom has it been used in practicality. There might be one word to describe it: curation and misconduct.

What about the press? Don't we have that here?

He who wears the crown controls the pawns. And therefore the pawn obeys the crown. It goes back and forth. This is all one major game of chess. We, the denizens of Krye Park, have been playing checkers, while the mayor has been playing chess. Can't say that I agree with him. Nor can I say I disagree.

***

On our way back, it was all the same. The long lonely road stretched on for miles; us being the only ones taking up its intended space for travel, leading to the city. The tall buildings grew as we drew closer and closer to this modern utopia. They were as intimidating as a knife in a priest's hand. I can't help but feel a sense of anti-climax as I maintained my vision of this metropolis surrounded by lonely houses; the city sucking, draining the color away.

This would appear to the average person as just a normal city, with no possibility of...

With self-preservation.

But, it was a horror.

***

A.R.S. § 26-311. Local emergencies; declaration by mayor or chairman of the board; power of political subdivisions; state agency assistance

A. In addition to the powers granted by other provisions of the law or charter, if the mayor of an incorporated city or town or the chairman of the board of supervisors for the unincorporated areas of the county deems that an emergency exists due to fire, conflagration, flood, earthquake, explosion, war, bombing, acts of the enemy or any other natural or man-made calamity or disaster or by reason of threats or occurrences of riots, routs, affrays or other acts of civil disobedience that endanger life or property within the city, town or unincorporated areas of the county, or portion thereof, the mayor or chairman of the board of supervisors, if authorized by ordinance or resolution, may declare, by proclamation, an emergency or a local emergency to exist.

B. If an emergency is declared pursuant to subsection A of this section, the mayor or the chairman of the board of supervisors shall govern during such an emergency by proclamation and shall have the authority to impose all necessary regulations to preserve the peace and order of the city, town, or unincorporated areas of the county, excluding the ordering of the closure of businesses, but including the following:

1. Imposing curfews in all or portions of the political subdivision.

2. Closing to public access any public building, street or other public place.

3. Calling on regular or auxiliary law enforcement agencies and organizations within or without the political subdivision for assistance.

4. Notifying the constitutional officers that the county office for which they are responsible may remain open or may close for the emergency.