Sutton

Watching Emerson today, I was proud. We never talked about her sister. She told me that she died, but I didn’t want to pry into it. I wouldn’t want anyone prying into my life. I scratch my jaw, as I watch them all talk. I look toward the lobby, and I can see the design I drew. The half lion, half woman. I never knew that’s why she loved it so much. No one has that design. I drew it up and had it hung up. I look over at Emerson, and I know she has one of her ribs done, but she doesn’t have the other side. 

Since she started, she’s gotten quite a bit of work done from everyone. She’s right, I never tattooed her. I never had a reason to. I trust the guys in my shop with her body. Seeing her today and hearing how she talked about that photo. Yeah, that’s the design. I stand up, kissing her. “I’ll be right back.” She nods, smiling up at me. I head to my office. I have a thermal copier in there, so I'll get it printed off and ready for her.  

I step back into the shop, seeing her flip through a magazine. I closed the shop down today, because I knew it would take all day. I walk to my station, getting everything set up. I feel them watching me. “Poppy, come lay down.” I look over my shoulder at her, her eyes widening. “You can’t look until it’s finished.” She looks over at Tommy and Marcus, and they look just as shocked as her. I don’t tattoo my artists unless they ask. I pull a blind fold out of my cabinet, and she furrows her brow. “Oh, you’re doing this blindfolded. You’ll look.” She stands up, and makes her way to me. I put the blindfold on her, and her lip's part. “You ready?” She nods. I tap her arms, and she raises them. I pull her tank-top off. I made her wear a bra today, and I hate it now. I grab the stencil, and Tommy and Marcus come over. Their eyes widen, as they look at me.  

“Fuck.” Tommy whispers. 

“What? What is he doing? Now, I'm nervous.” I punch Tommy’s arm, narrowing my eyes.  

“No, don’t be nervous. It’ll look amazing, babe.” Marcus nods, smiling. I lay the stencil, stepping back. It fits her ribs perfectly. Marcus helps her lay down as I wash my hands.  

“We’ll stay here and make sure he doesn’t mess it up.” She huffs out laugh, and I flip him off. He chuckles. They sit next to her head, as I sit down. I grab my machine, getting it fired up. I dip the needle. 

“You ready, Poppy?” She nods, gripping the side of the table. “Alright. Tell me about your sister.” I meet Tommy’s eyes, and he nods.  

For the next eight hours, she tells me about her sister. She sits like a rock, only whimpering once or twice. Mainly when I wipe the design. I have her describe her sister, and when she tells me the color of her eyes, I know I chose right. The woman in the photo is her sister. Call it fate or whatever, but this was made for her. 

I finish the shading, having Tommy look at it every now and then. I need this to be perfect. He pulled up a photo of her sister at the end of the tattoo, and shows it to me. Yep, it’s her tattoo. I finally finished, and I wipe it down for her. I get her cleaned up, and Marcus helps her stand. He leads her to the mirror, turning her to the side. 

“You ready, babe?” She shakes her head, and he laughs. “Don’t be nervous. Sut wouldn’t ruin your pretty skin. I promise.” She nods, wringing her hands. “Alright. Close your eyes.” He pulls the blindfold off, and I cross my arms. “Open whenever you’re ready.” I feel nervous. I didn’t want to mess this up. Blowing out a breath, she looks up at Marcus. She looks back at me, and I smile at her.  

“I’m scared. You’re a wild card.” I laugh, nodding. “Did you draw a penis?”  

“For eight hours?”  

“Maybe it’s your penis. You had to keep looking to make sure you got the veins right or something.” Tommy doubles over laughing, and I narrow my eyes at her. “Okay, fine. It’s Tommy’s penis.”