Emerson

I roll my shoulders as Lily looks in the mirror at her design. She sat like a champ during the whole tattoo. ”Em, I fucking love it.” I smile at her, as she looks back at me. “You’re a rockstar.” I laugh, as Chris comes into the shop.  

I have been in California for the last four days. I’m nauseous and tired, but I need this. I need my career to continue to grow. I saw a doctor the day I got here, and she said everything was going smoothly. I worry, because tattooing is stressful. She said as long as I get enough sleep, I will be perfectly fine. When I bled, it was spotting. She said that was normal. I found out that day that I was ten weeks along. I told Tommy, and he was happy for me. He informed me that Sutton is back to his grouchy self. Yelling at everyone, flipping his chair, and just being an ogre. I hurt him, and I know I did.  

I didn’t think he would tell me no, but I did keep it from him. More so because I was trying to figure out how I felt about the pregnancy. When Talia called me, I was so excited. I truly forgot about Sutton. My boyfriend and the man that started my career. I’ve never depend on anyone, and I was scared. I was starting to depend on him.  

I clean up Lily’s tattoo, and hug her as she leaves. I sit down, scrubbing my hands down my face.  

“You good, Em?” I nod, looking over at Chris.  

“Just tired. Pregnancy is a bitch.” He laughs, nodding. He helps me clean up and hugs me.  

“You’re a superstar, Em. Go get some sleep. You have a couple appointments tomorrow. I don’t want to overwhelm you.” I smile at him, as I head outside. I pull the keys out to my rental car, and head to my car.  

“Four days.” I jump, spinning around. Sutton is leaning against the wall of the shop, staring at me. “Four fucking days.”  

“Sutton?” I look around. Sutton is in California. Sutton Adler is standing in front of me.  

“Do you know what I did for four days?” I shake my head. “Well, I called Talia. Told her I was going to kick her ass for sending you twenty hours away, well four by plane.” He shakes his head. “Then I hatched this plan. It had to be perfect, because you deserve the world.” I furrow my brow. 

“Sutton.” I whisper.  

“How far along are you, Poppy?” His voice is quiet.  

“Ten weeks and four days.” He nods, reaching his hand out. His hand is gentle against my stomach, as he looks down at it. “Sutton, I was scared.” He shakes his head. I snap my mouth shut, as he meets my eyes. 

“I know you were, Poppy. You never wanted a baby; you wanted a career.” I nod, closing my eyes. “Do you want to know something?” I open my eyes, looking up at him. “You can have both. That was never not an option. You’re Emerson. You can do anything. Your sister believed it and I believe it. I’ve kept up with you over the last four days. I texted Chris and he sent me photos and updated me.” I look over his shoulder, seeing Chris watching us. He’s smiling big. I look back at Sutton. “I told you three months ago you were mine. From day one, pretty girl. You were mine. I meant that.”  

“Sutton, I'm sorry.” Shaking his head, he cups my jaw.  

“Nothing to be sorry about, baby. Nothing at all. I’m sorry for letting you come by yourself. I’m sorry for not understanding that you needed to process it yourself. We are having this baby, and we are getting married.” My eyes widen. “I was going to make it romantic. Take you out to dinner, apologize a million and half times, tell you I love you with some grand gesture.” He shakes his head, smiling. “But you, Emerson Riley Hayes. You’re not that girl. You never will be. So, instead, I'm doing it right here. I know you’re tired, so you’ll give in easier.” I watch him pull a box out of his pocket, and I gasp. “I don’t grovel or beg, but I’ll do it for you.” He shrugs. Sutton holds the box in his hand, and I stare at it.  

“How long have you had that?” I look up at him, a smile spreading on his face. “Sutton, how long have you had that?”  

“Since the day you did the interview for EliteINK.” My eyes grow wide. He grabs my hand, putting the box in my hand. “So, you say no and I'll respect that. You know I won’t let you go, and I'll ask you every day.” I open the box, and gasp. It’s a black smoky quartz diamond with blue accent stones around it. It’s vintage in a black gold. I look up at him, tears in my eyes. “I saw it and knew it was you. You’re not a white diamond type of girl.” I nod, looking back down at it.  

“And if I say yes?” I whisper.  

“Then I turn you around, have Chris marry us in his shop, put my ring on your finger, and spend the next week worshiping every inch of you.” My eyes widen. He reaches into his back pocket, pulling out some papers. I furrow my brow as he opens them. “I got them four days ago. Took a minute to get the nerve to come up here.”  

“Wait, Marcus and Tommy said you were a menace.” He grins. “They helped you plan this.” He nods, and I shake my head.  

“You’re all assholes.” I choke out. He chuckles. “Yes. Fuck. Yes.” He picks me up, wrapping his arms around me. I wrap my legs around him, feeling his body tremble against me.  

“Fuck, you know how to make a man sweat.” I laugh, pulling back. He carries me into the shop, setting me on my feet. I turn around, gasping. Everyone is standing there, smiling at us. “Oh yeah. They’re all in on it.” I laugh, wiping my face. Chris is leaning against the counter, smiling at us. “You ready to be my wife, Poppy?” I look up at him, nodding. “Then let’s do this damn thing.”  

Thirty minutes later, I have Sutton’s ring on my finger and his mouth on mine. Everyone claps and cheers, and I laugh as I pull back. The door opens and I gasp as everyone from the shop walks in. Talia runs over, wrapping her arms around me. I cry as I hug Tommy and Marcus; the rest of the guys kiss my cheek and congratulate us. Sutton presses his lips to my fingers, and I smile up at him.  

Three years ago, I never would have pictured marrying my idol and carrying his baby.