Chapter 11

...

As Jack and Rhiannon sat on the floor, playing with colorful blocks, Rhiannon looked up at Jack with a wistful expression. "Uncle Jack, I miss my, Charlie," she said, her voice tinged with sadness.

Jack paused his block-building and gently placed a hand on Rhiannon's shoulder. "I know, he's gonna come back on the weekend and spend all his time with you!" he replied, his tone full of empathy.

Meanwhile, Robyn continued bustling in the kitchen, occasionally glancing over at the scene unfolding before her. Rhiannon looked up at Jack with watery eyes. "Really?" she asked, seeking reassurance.

Jack nodded warmly, "Absolutely. he'll be back to play with you before you know it." Rhiannon's face brightened, and she nodded eagerly. "Okay, let's build the tallest block tower ever! We can show it to Charlie when he comes back," she said with renewed enthusiasm.

Jack smiled, happy to see Rhiannon's spirits lifted. "You got it! Let's make it super tall!" As they continued building their tower together, doing his best to distract her from missing her brother.

Robyn looked at her phone confused as she answered the call. "Hello who's this?"

"Robyn, it's Harry. I can't find Charlie anywhere, and I think he may have run away," Harry said, his voice trembling with concern.

Robyn's mind raced as she tried to process the information. "What the fuck do you mean he's missing?" she asked.

"I've checked everywhere around the neighborhood, and he's not there. I don't know where else to look," Harry replied, his voice filled with desperation.

Robyn quickly left the cooking on the stove and rushed to the living room, where Jack and Rhiannon were playing. "Jack, we need to go help Harry. Charlie is missing," she said urgently.

Jack's face turned serious, and without a moment's hesitation, he got up and followed Robyn to the phone. "Where'd you last see him?" Jack asks, trying to remain as he picked up Rhiannon.

Robyn quickly grabbed her keys, and they all rushed out the door to her car. As they drove to Harry's place. When they arrived at Harry's place, Harry was visibly distraught. "I've called everyone I know in the neighborhood and no one has seen him," he said, his voice breaking.

"We'll split up and find him." Jack suggested, trying to remain calm and focused. Robyn nodded in agreement. "I'll check the nearby park and playgrounds," she said.

"I'll search the neighborhood streets and alleys," Jack added. Harry, feeling a bit overwhelmed, decided to check the places he had already looked together earlier. They all dispersed in different directions, hoping to find any sign of Charlie.

Jack's heart sank as he spotted Charlie sitting alone at the bus stop bench, tears streaming down his face. Without a moment's hesitation, he rushed over and sat down next to the young boy, wrapping his arms around him in a comforting embrace.

"Hey, buddy, it's okay." Jack said gently, trying to soothe Charlie's distress. Charlie clung to Jack, his small frame shaking with sobs. "I want my mom," he cried, his voice choked with emotion.

Jack knelt down to be at eye level with Charlie, gently wiping away the remaining tears from his cheeks. "Hey, buddy, I know how much you miss your mom, and I understand how tough it is for you right now," he began, his voice filled with empathy.

Charlie looked up at Jack, his big, tear-filled eyes searching for understanding. "But why can't I see Mom? Doesn't she love me?" he asked, his voice trembling with confusion and hurt.

"Oh, Charlie, of course, your mom loves you so much," Jack reassured him, wanting to be as honest as possible. "Sometimes, grown-ups have to make difficult decisions, and right now, your mom and dad need some time to figure things out."

"But I want to be with Mom and Rhiannon. I don't like it here," Charlie said, his voice breaking.

Jack's heart ached at seeing Charlie so upset. He took a deep breath, trying to find the right words to explain the situation to the young boy. "I know it's tough, Charlie, but sometimes, things don't go as we want them to. Your mom and dad are trying to work things out so that you can see both of them as much as possible. They both love you very much, and they want what's best for you," Jack said, hoping to offer some comfort.

Charlie's tears slowly subsided as he listened to Jack's words, though the sadness remained in his eyes. "Can I call her?" he asked, looking hopeful.

"Sure, we can call her together. I'm sure she'll be happy to hear from you," Jack replied, grateful for the chance to help Charlie connect with his mom.

Jack picked up the phone and dialed Alana's number, handing it over to Charlie.