Chapter 15

Louis, Alana, and little Rhiannon eagerly piled into their car, the anticipation palpable as they set off for Louis's mother Johanna's house for a special family dinner. Rhiannon's wide-eyed enthusiasm was infectious, and she couldn't stop chattering about seeing her grandparents again.

As they approached the house, the warm glow from the windows welcomed them, and the scent of Johanna's home-cooked meal filled the air. Louis parked the car, and they made their way to the front door, Rhiannon practically skipping with excitement.

Inside, Johanna enveloped Rhiannon in a tight hug, greeting Alana warmly. The house exuded an inviting charm that instantly put everyone at ease.

They followed Johanna into the dining room, where the table was set beautifully. Their smiles widened when they spotted Robyn and Jack already seated, sharing animated conversations with Louis's father, who was regaling them with stories.

Alana rushed over to Robyn; they exchanged warm hugs and excited chatter. "Robyn, how have you been?" Alana asked.

Robyn beamed. "I've been great." Louis greeted Robyn and Jack, shaking hands and sharing laughter. "I'm surprised to see you both here!" Robyn grinned. "We couldn't resist the invitation to join the family dinner."

"Louis, come help me bring out the food while we wait for the rest of our guests," Johanna called out with a warm smile. Louis nodded and followed her into the kitchen, ready to assist.

Curiosity piqued, Alana turned to Johanna and asked, "Who else is coming?" She expected a list of names or at least some details about the additional guests.

Instead, Johanna simply gave her a meaningful look, one that conveyed a sense of pleasant surprise and maybe even a touch of mischief. Without saying a word, Johanna continued walking into the kitchen, leaving Alana intrigued and wondering who might be joining their gathering.

Jack helped Rhiannon get into her chair. Alana and Robyn were talking when suddenly the doorbell rang. Louis' dad stood up from his seat, saying, "I got it." He walked out to open the door.

When he returned, he walked back into the dining room with Alana's parents, Marie and Harvey. Alana muttered furiously, "There's no way." She was surprised and bewildered to see her parents at this unexpected family dinner.

As Johanna and Louis emerged from the kitchen with trays of delicious food, Johanna wore a warm smile on her face, clearly delighted to have her family gathered around. She set down the dishes on the table and said, "I hope you all enjoy this meal. It's been so wonderful to have you here."

However, Louis's expression was noticeably different. His brows were furrowed, and he was furious.  With everyone seated at the table, Johanna took a moment to address the gathering. She cleared her throat and said with a warm, sincere smile, "I invited Alana's parents because I wanted to try and bring our families closer together. Life is too short, and I thought it was time we all made an effort to be a happy family."

Tension simmered in the room as Marie, Alana's mother, expressed her opinion. "With all due respect Johanna but my daughter is too ungrateful to let the past go." She took a sip of her wine, maintaining her composure.

In response, Alana's voice carried frustration, "Please, let's not pretend you weren't trying to take my kids away from me, even after you kicked me out when I was a pregnant teenager."

As the doorbell rang, interrupting the tense exchange between Alana, her mother Marie, and Johanna's attempt at family reconciliation, Johanna quickly excused herself to answer it. She called out that the door was open, allowing the newcomers to enter.

Colton's introduction of his girlfriend, Sarah, was met with a palpable air of tension and disapproval from Alana, Robyn, Jack, and Louis. They exchanged glances that conveyed their clear resentment towards Colton.