The Last Assignment

You finished briefing the guardian angel, taking over the Jeon Jungkook assignment from you, about what to expect. You are hoping your next assignment is an easier one.

 He should have TWO Guardian Angels, not just one. As much as you love them, with this one, you're glad to hand him over. You are drained. You never thought a guardian angel could feel so tired.

The little guardian angel in training stands in front of you, looking up at you with such adorning golden eyes. You look down at her smile and reach out to take the new assignment she is holding up for you.

She whispers in angel speak that only you two share, "I'm sorry Unnie."

Looking slightly confused as to why she would be saying she's sorry, you lift the assignment to read. She sees your eyes widen in disbelief and she scurries to the next one she has to hand an assignment to.

You sigh and slightly roll your eyes, "I can't believe this. Not him, anyone but him."

You sense the Guardian Archangel's eyes on you. You look over at him and he says, "Come forth, Ara."

You step to the front of his podium and give a small nod of respect. You wait for him to speak.

He looks at you with disappointment then says, "Ara, you were given this assignment because you're perfect for this one."

You think, 'More like I'm the only one left who hasn't taken him on as a charge.'

The Guardian Archangel raises a brow at you in question. "Is there a problem Ara?"

You know he heard that thought by the expression on his face. You sigh biting your bottom lip then decide to tell him. "He has been through so many guardian angels already, why me?" 

He smiles at you and puts his arm around your shoulders as he walks you away from the others milling about before leaving on their assignments.

"You have proven yourself time and time again with our most difficult assignments."

You look up at him and interrupt, "You mean people, humans." You make it more of a statement than a question.

He releases a sigh of frustration, "They are assignments, jobs to be done, nothing more. We keep it that way to help avoid any personal attachment to them."

"I have to contradict you Guardian, they are more than just jobs. They are unlike us that is true, but they love, cry, bleed, and something we don't do, they die."

He says, "Because they die, that is why we must stay neutral and not form attachments, thus we refer to them as assignments or jobs. Because we do care for them and we want them to have the best life we can help them to have in their short time on earth."

He looks intently at you, "I only want to protect you. I too was once like you. So full of love and hope for them. I don't want you to do as I have done." The look of regret on his face surprises you.

"What have you done that you regret so?'

He stops walking and places his hands on your shoulders looking into your eyes, "I fell in love with my 884th charge and almost gave up my wings for her. Only to find out her love was a fake love."

You gasp in surprise. You didn't know this about him. You are close but he never told you this. You place your hand on his saying, "I'm so sorry."

He looks off into the distance as if wondering back in time. Then he looks at you and says, "I just want you to be careful. You are close to your end as Guardian Angel."

Taken completely unaware you stutter, "What, my, my end?"

He says, "Yes, this is your last assignment. You're ready to advance from guardian angel to Guardian Angel Advisor."

You can't believe it, you are honored but you step away shaking your head and refusing, "I love being their guardian angel. I don't want to do anything else."

You step close to him taking hold of his lapels pleading with him, "I don't want to stop being with them."

With sorrow in his eyes, he looks at you. "In this, I have no choice. He is your assignment."

What he doesn't tell you is that you do have a choice.  A very rare few, who gave up their wings for love, had happy fulfilled lives with no regrets.

Knowing your tender heart, it is going to happen. You are going to fall in love with this one. He has foreseen it and pleaded with those above him to either keep you assigned to Jeon Jungkook or immediately move you to Guardian Angel Advisor now instead of after this last assignment. 

But they would not change their minds. All he can do now is hope that what he has foreseen doesn't come true, for your sake.