18

A.

I watched her, lost in her thoughts as she cut her chicken into pieces. If what transpired in the car had any effect on her at all, she was keeping it to herself. Quiet in her thoughts until now, her hazel eyes flick up to me past her dark lashes.

"Hmm?" Dropping her fork to dust a hand across her face. "Did you say something?"

Smirking, I shake my head.

"My father says you're almost finish negotiating the terms of our marriage." I raise an eyebrow at her sudden words, her expression is almost neutral. Leaning forward I let my elbows rest on the table, pushing my empty plate aside.

"We are, they'll be officially finished when I return." Her father was fool to think I would agree to this union without securing my influence on the business here on the island. The idea of playing don while he groomed his son into the role left a bitter taste in my mouth, traditionally in Sicily, most marriages are arranged but in the business the man wed to the daughter of a don essential became don of both families, merging. It was a tradition I was going to enforce on both my father and Brian, if they were going to force tradition down my throat- I'll make sure they acknowledge them all.

"Is there anything you want to be brought into the negotiations?" My question seems to catch her off guard, the whites of her eyes becoming more visible as they widen over her sip of water. Her reactions to simple things so much as being asked her opinion or thoughts always remind me that her life, too was coated in tradition.

Uncertainty clouded her soft features, and she was quiet for a moment. "Can I still make music and perform?" Her voice was a lot softer and her eyes downcast to her plate. Something close to utter rage flashed through me seeing her small.

"Nani, look at me." I stated the words but I was already gripping her chin in my hand, pulling her gaze upward until she laid those hypnotizing eyes on me. "Your free will is non negotiable. As my wife your choices are only as limited as your most wildest dreams. If music is what you want to make, then it will be your wish on your command, little dove." I rubbed my thumb over the smooth skin of her bottom lip, it was full and pink, soft like a feather and I couldn't think of nothing more than biting that very lip.

"Now tell me of a business you want shares in, a hotel in your name or even the deed to your fathers house. I can buy you all the cars, boats and diamonds you want." I waited, pulling back to lean into my chair. Watching the line in between her eyebrows appear, a slight crinkly to her nose.

"I have no use for any of those things, Aziel." She sighed, almost as if she was disappointed I could ever assume she'd find interest in such vapid things. Despite the sound of my name from her lips rolling a slight shiver down my spine, I grinned.

"I know, little dove. A more sophisticated woman like you would much rather prefer something like-"

"An agreement." She pushed her half eaten plate aside, leaning on her forearms, bracelets clang and cling against the table top. I mimic, intrigued.

"An agreement?" She nods, pulling her bottom lip between her teeth and glancing out the window. She quiet, again for a moment before she sighs, her entire body moving with it as she looks back at me.

"To be faithful. This marriage is arranged, yes, I know the reputation of most men in the family, again yes. But I refuse to be another bride forced to raise her husbands illegitimate children." I realize how irrational it is to be infuriated with my own thoughts, my mind conjuring unwarranted illusions, unwanted images of Angelo and my wife.

"May I share a custom, a law in my culture with you?" I smirked at her annoyed expression, her shoulders sagging with dejection. Nonetheless she nodded, reaching across the table I pulled her arms uncrossed, rubbing my thumb over her, still bare, ring finger. "One of the principles of the Italian family is that you should never betray your wife, because; If you are able to betray who you trusts to close your eyes and sleep beside you, you are not worthy of anyone's trust." I brushed my lips over her knuckles.

I despised tradition but I honored my heritage in my own ways. My marriage was arranged, yet I still chose my bride. I would honor my wife.

"When I come back, I expect you to have a demand to be finalized into the rest of the negations. Si?"

"Si."

The ride back to her home was much less tense, her arm brushed mine as she shuffled in her seat, keeping her gaze anywhere but on me. I smirked, only assuming she was thinking about our small moment of intimacy.

I let her be, not wanting her to feel embarrassed in any way. The car ride was silent back but there was a calm warming me that wasn't there when I left the hotel this morning. Like a cool tide had washed over my burning anger and as my little wife yawned deeply beside me, her bracelets rattling lightly as she covered her mouth I felt myself smile a little.

"Here, take this." I slipped her the black plated card, as I stood outside her side of the car, standing in between the entry to her house and the open car door. I looked over face as she took the card with confusion. "It is customary for the grooms family to cover the wedding expenses in my culture." She blinked looking at the card and then back at me.

"When will you be back?" The question almost catches me off guard, I had seen it swirling in her eyes the moment I told her I would be leaving.

"Hopefully in a week." I pulled her close, gripping her neck and jaw with both my hands. Pressing my lips to her forehead. "Be good, little dove." She didn't respond and I didn't expect one.

I waited until  the guard at the front door shut its after opening it for her before climbing into the truck. Sighing, feeling like I was leaving something behind or forgetting something.

"The airport, don?" Draco was looking at me through the rearview mirror. Shaking off the feeling I nod.
"Yes, we have a ladro to deal with."
(Thief)

A/N: this is how I picture Nalani's jewelry. Just stacked, gold and shimmering. And since I am writing this just for fun I think I'm gonna add pictures, I haven't really don't that in a while but why not !🤭

 And since I am writing this just for fun I think I'm gonna add pictures, I haven't really don't that in a while but why not !🤭