24

N.

It was clear whatever Angelo was promised in this marriage went into effect immediately. I awoke in a room just as barren as the rest of the massive house, his side of the bed was cold but steam still lingered from a shower so I knew he had just left.

There double doors that led out to the balcony were shut tightly and when I clicked it open I could see the few men wandering the perimeter of the property, leaning against black iron gates that were as tall as trees.

I let the sheer curtains fall back into place with a sigh.

The house was large, marble floors like my fathers and tall ceilings. The same chill if not colder followed me like a shadow, my feet were bare but my steps practically echoed off the empty walls.

There were boxes scattered everywhere but none of anything I recognized. Packages and bags from stores I hadn't shopped at, I paused entirely for three whole minutes at the overwhelming pile of stuff crowding the kitchen island.

"Mrs. Torres! Good morning, I apologize about the clutter. The movers arrived yesterday evening and your wedding gifts have just been delivered. I was going to get this situated and whip up some breakfast for you." The woman I didn't recognize blew a breath as she spewed the words at me, I blinked trying to process it all as my head began to pound.

She smiled widely despite my lack of enthusiasm and I felt like if I looked at the decorated boxes and tagged bags for any longer I'd be sick.
"You can have these sent in the guest room closest to the master, please." I whispered, offering false hope that I would even attempt to go through all that shit. I pulled my cardigan tighter around myself, feeling vulnerable as I slid past what I was assuming an appointed head maid for this house.

Another thing that I had no say or notice in.
I could taste the blood bead on my lip as my teeth ripped at the skin in anxious, growing anger.

"-Mrs. Torres?" I flinched as I shut the third cabinet I had opened but hadn't truly looked in.

"Hm?" I blinked at her, realizing how young she really was. She seemed a year or two younger than me with shifty brown eyes and dazzling shiny blonde hair that shouldn't remind me so much of man who has quite literally ghosted me a month before our wedding after telling me he'd be back after a week.

I felt wrecked, although my heart didn't ache for either of the men in my life but a little boy innocent in it all born to be burdened with a life that would bring him nothing but misery. I was realizing how in vain I was in thinking a marriage would save my brother from the clutches of my father.

Now I was moved to a house on the other side of the Dominican Republic, out of touch, sight and reach of Isaac.

"Did you want me to make you breakfast? There is a lot to be unpacked but I'm sure I can manage something. I stocked the fridge last night and I'll be filling the pantry today."  She smiled again, bright and blinked real slowly at me.

"Did Angelo hire you?" I cock my head a she smile seems to brighten and she nods enthusiastically.

"Yes! I am Nia your head staff, the other maids are set to arrive at noon to assist with the unpacking and settling into their quarters and I will be in charge of your meals until you and Mr. Torres settle on the list of chefs I've provided in his bedside table." She spoke a lot of information quickly in a stroke of a breath.

"Where are the mugs?" I look at one of the many boxes towering the island instead of her as I ask and I almost scoff at the photo album. As if there would be any happy memories I'd want to cherish enough for something like that.

"Mr. Torres mentioned you liked to drink a peppermint tea in the mornings as I made sure to have one prepared for when you woke." I watched frazzled almost as she her around the island to pull a mug that was steaming from the small oven imbedded into the cabinet's above the stove. Everything in this house was white and gold, marble floors and counter tops that matched the floors. The stove, fridge and sink were an ugly copper color that contrasted harshly in the harsh lighting and gold accents.

I sighed over the steaming mug with a bitterness that layered over my chest like a blanket of hot lava.
I watch Nia move around the kitchen with ease and familiarity, swinging boxes into the pantry as she hummed quietly. It was miserable of me, to find her happiness, her presence, infuriating.

Shaking my head at myself I pull away from the island, a guard slither past the back sliding doors a machine gun strapped to his back and a hand gun strapped to his leg, he nods respectfully as he past but I can't get my body to function.
My eyes follow the gun jolting slight on his back until he's out of sight, my breathing shallow as my heart thunders in my ears. I squeeze my eyes shut, fighting past the sway in my body.

"Lani?" I jerk, eyes flying open as large hands grip my shoulder. Turning, Angelo smiles widely at me and I'm too stunned to flinch back as he brings his lips down on mine swiftly. "I missed you, I'm sorry I couldn't be home this morning. Your father needed me."
Stepping out of his grasp I nod, shaking off his hands as I bring the still steaming cup to my lips.
"I know this isn't ideal after being newly married." He gestures to the mess around the kitchen, spreading his hands wide so I assumed he was referring to the whole estate. Nia no longer visible, her humming nonexistent. "We'll have a proper honeymoon after the house is unpacked. I have new duties to attend to for your father." The word 'honeymoon' made me nauseous, the smugness in his smirk and the swell in his chest was indication enough of his excitement to become Don.

I don't want a honeymoon.
I wanted to scream it to the top of my fucking lungs, right in his smug fucking face.

But he grins and leans in to kiss my cheek, barely hesitating as I flinch back this time, he only grabs my shoulders holding me in rigid place as his cold lips longer on my cheek. "I'll be home before dinner." He says, smiling widely as he turns pulling away completely.