14

Click...click...click

The sound bounced and leaped off the walls, cutting through the still air like a fish swimming against the current.
The walls were caked and blackened with dried blood and smoke, water stains littered the room with  an accompanying splatter of blood form an unfortunate loser in the game. The floors are covered with plastic, beneath it a jagged unleveled slab of cement that acted as a floor.

The building itself had been abandoned a long time ago by the public, for a while it was merely a place for junkies to wandering in the ecstasy of their addiction and fuck.
Now it was used these days as a place of business, the kind only the wealthy and lethal divulged in.

"Bianchi! Are you going to join us for a game or keep babysitting your drink?" The man cackled loudly in the dim lighting, the revolver in his hand glinted against the moonlight pouring through the circular window as he waved the Don over from the part of the building that wasn't crumbling.

Aziel ignored him, eyes skimming over the table. There were four people in all. Aziel knew the man who had initiated the game, Ryker Smith, a madman who thought pulling you into a game of Russian roulette was the best way to gamble- was also a cheat who rigged his revolver with a triggered click, he could click all day long. So long as he held the gun there would never be a bullet leaving the chamber.

"Couldn't pay me enough to have a conversation with that mental patient." Draco had waited by the makeshift bar for Aziel to return from his phone call, they were essentially at the very bottom of an abandoned schoolhouse. The smell of chlorine still lingered from the empty pool in the room over.
It wasn't a place they frequented but now here in the Dominican Republic, they needed to network. Ryker was someone Aziel had passed briefly in meeting when Ryker purchased a penthouse in Italy. It wasn't a week before Aziel was getting calls from his secretary that he was causing disturbances, then he moved back to the states- or so that's what Aziel assumed.

"He's not so bad, sober." Draco looked over his Don, past the smoke of the joint hanging between his lips he spoke, "Neither is a racoon with rabies until it bites you." Draco grunt inhaling deeply, the smoke clouding his lungs did nothing to numb the ache he felt in his chest, traveling was apart of his job, being away from home often was something he had become accustomed to but still he missed his wife.

"You don't seem to have much opposition to getting married as you did before." Draco spoke freely, watching as Aziel tipped his glass back swallowing the bitter contents of his glass. Draco smirked, there was very few times he had seen his friend place interest in anything beside his business, it was quite amusing to him watching them interact. She seemed a lot more intelligent then she let on, each time they had sat at the table Draco watched her watch everyone else.

Aziel leaned back onto the bar top, his weight resting on his elbow as he responded. "My father wont step back fully until I marry one of the Sacozi daughters, the temporary power over this region was never meant to be temporary." Aziel had spent years evading his fathers demand to follow tradition, to present the family with a proper wife, after his wedding it wont be long before they expect a heir.

He was conceived six months after his own parents marriage was arranged, he had suffered through the early parts of his the arrangement with his mother. The thought of his marriage being a lifetime living with an estranged unhappy woman tolerating his existence created a nauseating feeling in his stomach.

Nalani, on the surface was a woman who had remained loyal to a fault, she was suffering under her fathers rule and now she was being pawned off for his benefit. The few times he managed to catch her without the obedient persona she was a fiery spirit with a mouth as slick as oil, she made him feel like he was laying in the shining sun on the sandy beaches when she looked in his eye and he knew just by talking on the phone, she was far more intelligent than she let on.

The feeling was foreign to Aziel, it felt like he was chasing a high, a climax to feelings he couldn't comprehend. He was conflicted, part of him wanting nothing to do with a estranged marriage and the other part wanting to selfishly divulge into her, pour into her and nurture what had been neglected.

"Brian is sneaky, that may be a problem." Aziel couldn't exactly argue Draco's words Most dons with a heir do not arrange a marriage for their daughters without wanting something of value in return. Brian gains really nothing from Aziel  taking over his businesses while he 'rest'. There was definitely a different motive at play here and it made both men restless with irritation.

Even so, his agreeance with Draco's words didn't deter from the fact he knew he could at least trust Nalani to be honest with him.

"Let's hope for his sake this is nothing more than what has been presented. I don't think your wife would be too happy with you if you killed her father." Draco eyes flashed with amusement but Aziel mind tracked back to the dullness in his wife's eyes he had recognized with a sickening nostalgia.

The same look haunted his mother features most of his life.

"I don't think so." Aziel grunted, his fist curling into themselves.

Tradition, in Aziel's eyes was just a scapegoat. A false portrayal of what really was and he would be damned if he watched 'tradition' destroy another innocent woman.

He was a don but he wasn't a cruel monster.