Bail

"Jenna, what do you think of this skirt?" Sloane asked again.

Jenna looked at the skirt for the tenth time that hour. She didn't even have to think of her answer because she was so used to saying it.

"It's cute."

Truthfully, this skirt was not cute. This skirt did not match match Sloane's eyes, fit Sloane's waist, accent Sloane's hair well, nor did it actually fulfill any of the nice comments Jenna had made about it.

"It is cute," Sloane whined, "but it's so expensive."

Jenna sighed, "Then just get it."

"I can't, my parents took my credit card away," Sloane said exasperatedly, as if she needed a credit card to survive at seventeen years old. "You're rich, right?" Sloane asked, knowing the answer.

"You're richer," Jenna laughed, avoiding what Sloane was suggesting.

"But you could afford the skirt, right? Or did your parents also conveniently decide to take away your credit card?"

Jenna tried not to look Sloane in the eye, "It's not my style."

"But it's my style. And you're my friend," Sloane encouraged her. "And my birthday is coming up, but I don't remember you saying that you have a gift for me yet."

"Most people don't tell their friends what they're getting them," Jenna reminded her, "And your birthday is in November."

Sloane sighed, "But still,"

The false desperation painted across Sloane's face was sickly sweet enough that Jenna almost pitied her. She rolled her eyes and gave Sloane her credit card, "But only buy the skirt!"

Sloane smiled and nodded, grabbing the skirt on her way to the cash register, but the situation wasn't promising. Jenna pretended not to notice as Sloane swiped another item from the clothing rack slyly. Chances were, Jenna would be paying for a skirt, a pack of mini scrunchies, a water bottle, and maybe the top Sloane was eyeing before. Jenna watched her and changed her mind about what she thought before. Maybe Sloane couldn't survive without a credit card.

Sloane ran back to Jenna and hugged her, "I'm so thankful to have a friend like you!" Liar. "I promise this purchase was worth it!" Still a liar. "You're my new favorite friend!" Serial liar alert.

As the two walked out of the store, Jenna decided not to comment on how Sloane was carrying three shopping bags, none of which belonged to Jenna, yet Sloane was the one without a credit card.

"So," Sloane sparked a conversation, "you're going to the football game with us, right?"

"Yep," Jenna said blandly. Sports were one of the worst parts about the small town. Little Rockfall High's colors were two shades of gray. Even worse, their mascot was the Mighty Pebbles. Going to the games wasn't even worth it if you had to scream, 'Go Mighty Pebbles' every ten seconds while wearing something that could only be described as punk funeral attire. That's probably why sports were the only events that the goth kids went to.

Besides the fashion issue, Little Rockfall was notorious for losing. The school lost more money over field maintenance, the coach's salary, and equipment than they ever gained from winning money or ticket sales.

However, football games meant tailgating, and any chance for Sloane to throw a party was an opportunity she couldn't pass up.

Jacklyn gagged as the smell of lunch filled her cell. The acrid scent almost convinced her that seeing her mom again was worth it as long as she didn't have to eat lunch