Spies

Jenna walked out of class where Sloane was waiting. The two girls walked to lunch quietly, but Jenna knew it was a sign. 

Talking was one of Sloane's favorite activities. In fifth grade, when she and Sloane were just beginning to hang out, Sloane would walk to Jenna's house -- which wasn't near -- just to tell her about half made-up gossip. As they got older, she developed a version of sign language that they would use in the middle of class. If Sloane wasn't talking, it meant something was certainly wrong.

"How is Liam?" Jenna prompted hopefully.

Sloane scoffed, "Why are you asking?"

Jenna shrugged. It wasn't surprising that she was having relationship issues. Jenna found it strange that Sloane wasn't used to it by then. It seemed like every week they were fighting over something different, most of the time it being Sloane's fault. 

They strode into the cafeteria and sat next to Lena who was waiting patiently at their usual table. Jenna wasn't hungry; she was still getting used to being able to eat since her audition was over. 

Chloe came in through the other entrance and sat down next to Sloane, "Jenna, you have to eat eventually," Chloe sighed, "otherwise you won't look good in the photos at the fair."

The county fair was an annual must-go for Little Rockfall High, meaning Jenna couldn't get out of it if she tried.

Jenna rolled her eyes, Just because you have no life doesn't mean you have to push your stupid priorities onto others, Jenna thought angrily to herself, stuffing her mouth with chips to keep herself from saying that. She didn't care what she looked like in Sloane's photos as long as she was Clara in the Nutcracker. Jenna had been checking her email every morning to see if her ballet instructor had posted the audition results.

Even if it meant starving herself for another two months, she was willing to do anything to get that part.

"Beat anyone up lately?" a voice called. Jacklyn swatted Liam's hand off her shoulder and walked faster. Unlucky for her, Liam was determined, "Wait up!"

She finally turned around, "You're Sloane's boyfriend."

"Yeah, and?" Liam shrugged.

Jacklyn crossed her arms and walked up to Liam. She was only an inch shorter than him, something that Liam found strangely humbling. "It means that I don't talk to people associated with Sloane, meaning you." Jacklyn explained plainly, expecting him to give up.

"But what if I weren't with Sloane?"

"Even then, I wouldn't talk to you." Jacklyn said.

Liam jogged to her side, "It seems you're already changed your mind," he said and smiled. Jacklyn turned her head as Liam walked away, her mouth twitching angrily. She was certain this was one of Sloane's twisted plans that would end just as the last: get Jacklyn to care about someone, and take them away the second she got comfortable. It seemed to Jacklyn like every relationship ended that way.