Beginnings and Endings

"I asked for an odd number of flowers in each of my arrangements; I counted, there's six in each."

Anna's mom, Moira, sighed, "Pam, I have a strict no refunds rule. You get what you get!"

Pam Parker shook the box of flower vases in front of Moira, "Well, what I got was not what I asked for!"

"Whose wedding are you getting these for? A hand surgeon? No one's going to notice a detail that small!"

The Pam scoffed, "It matters!" she exclaimed, "You're not the customer, I am. And if you want an even number of flowers for your daughter's perfect wedding, then fine!"

"I'm not putting in another flower in each for free!"

"Then I'll be sure to put in a horrible review on Yelp for customer service!" the woman sneered.

"Well-" Moira paused, searching for words, "well, your hair color sucks!"

"You did not just go there."

"Oh, yes I did."

Pam raised her eyebrows, "If you're going to play nasty, then bring it on!"

"Try me." Moira threatened.

"Your shirt must be from Walmart!"

Moira gasped, "I swear to God, Walmart is a socially acceptable clothing destination these days!"

"Yeah, if you're living off of cutting coupons."

Anna peeked her head out from the stairwell. Her mom had been angrier than ever lately. Earlier, a man commented on the ribbon wrapping around his vase, and fifteen seconds into the conversation she was violently throwing strands of lavender at him.

But that wasn't what worried Anna most. Anna ran back upstairs, hoping that her mom would be distracted enough to spare her a few more moments to get ready.

Anna stared at the mirror, specifically at her collar. She couldn't decide where to button it. It was stupid, yes, but after yesterday's disaster at school, Anna didn't want to leave fate to the collar of her shirt.

She settled on cutting it off at three buttons; three from the top, but one from the bottom. Anna pulled up her normal sized skirt as high as it would go, put her hair up into a messy bun, and put on her sneakers instead of flats.

Anna ran downstairs, grabbing a half eaten bagel off the counter, probably her mom's, and made her way out the door.

"Anna," her mom shouted, "did the top buttons of your shirt fall of or something?"

Anna pretended not to hear her mom as she raced out the door.

However, as Anna approached Little Rockfall High with all of its confident students, she buttoned her collar to the top, pulled out her messy bun, and walked into her second day knowing that she'd stayed true to herself.

"f they want to make fun of who I am, I'll just prove how confident I can be. Anna thought. That mindset lasted for about a minute.

Jenna walked up to Sloane in first period like she was famous. "Hi, Sloane. Lena, love your skirt." Jenna said, ignoring the obvious.

"Jenna, your eyebags are horrible." Sloane began. Shoot. Sloane continued, "Don't worry, I have a cream for you."

Jenna smiled at Sloane and thanked her with as much sharpness and force in her voice as she could muster without making her problem apparent. If friends were supposedly for lifting you up, then what were the haters like?