CHAPTER 10: Austin warns me of Legos

(Votes are always welcome! <3)

A few minutes later Austin was dragging a spare roll of mattress and a pillow tucked under his armpit into the room.

"Technically, this is my room," Austin said after seeing my raised eyebrow, answering my unasked question. "This isn't a mansion, you know. I had to stay with Cooper and Lila while you were hogging up the room. It was a nightmare."

"Cooper and Lila?" I asked, sounding mildly curious and ignoring the comment about me seizing his room.

"Clint's kids,"  Austin said with a subtle roll of his eyes. "Lila tried to use crayon on my face as 'makeup' while I was asleep. And Cooper almost dumped a whole box of Legos on my face. Speaking of Legos, bring a flashlight with you whenever you're venturing out in the house at night, because sometimes they leave it around forgotten and if you happen to step on one of those..."

He made an exaggerated look of pain on his face. I arched an eyebrow, not exactly convinced.

"It's true!" Austin said indignantly. "Stepping on a Lego can literally rip apart your soul and body out of pain."

My eyebrow went a little higher.

"Whatever," he rolled his eyes again. I noticed he had a tendency to do that.

"I'm taking the bed," I said, a hint of mischievousness in my tone. "First of all," I attempted a sassy tone, "you guys were the ones who intend on imprisoning me here, so I get the privilege to decide. Secondly, I'm supposed to have 'just recovered', so the patient should get more comfort."

He rolled his eyes - again. "I'm gonna have to write in a letter of complaint about unfairness. First they want me to move into the little bastards' room so that you could sleep in 'peace' and 'tranquility' - like I would bang drums and smash glass while you're here - and now I have to sleep on the floor."

"You're the older brother, and older brothers take care of their little sisters, riiight?" I said, smiling innocently.

Yet again, he rolled his eyes.

"Anyway..." Austin suddenly sounded a little stiff, and he shifted his weight uncomfortably. "Um... they want you. Downstairs."

"They?" I asked, momentarily confused, before I remembered the Avengers were in the same house I was in. Well, I guess I was as good as dead. It was either they wanted to kill me, or threaten to imprison me, or something worse.

Probably not the killing part, since Austin was here. However, I didn't think Austin's request of wanting to find out if I was truly his sister was the sole purpose of capturing me and putting me here. "Alright. I don't they they're going to ask me to babysit Barton's kids, though."

He managed a grin, but still looked slightly worried. I went out of the bedroom, and he followed me, closing the door behind him. I took in my surroundings, which had an uncomplicated layout as well as simple furnishings.

The entire team was sitting on the couches in the living room, chatting among themselves. Well - not all of them. I noticed the Norse God of Thunder was absent, and he usually wasn't hard to miss. They stopped talking and looked up when I appeared.

Hawkeye - or, Clint Barton - was the first to speak up. "Now that we know the connection, you do look a lot like him."

Assuming 'him' referred to Austin, I gave him a flat look. "We're twins."

My tone was supposed to sound sarcastic, but apparently Hulk - I mean, Doctor Bruce Banner, he wasn't the trampling green dude then - didn't seem to catch my sarcasm.