CHAPTER 11: Don't Underestimate Natasha's Driving Skills

(vote to forget Don't!)

The next thing I knew, Austin was practically dragging me onto the Quinjet, S.H.I.E.L.D.'s hybrid wing aircraft which acted as the Avengers' personnel transport and versatile attack vehicle. I knew that any kind of attempt to refuse would be futile, so I had to obediently allow myself to be forced up into the jet. Thankfully, though, Tony Stark wasn't on board with us. He had flown to the NEXUS Internet Hub to deal with something I didn't know about, but I didn't want to know anyway.

"Am I allowed to know where we're going?" I said monotonously to nobody in particular.

"U-Gin Genetic Research Facility in South Korea," Rogers replied helpfully. "The Maximoffs will be there," he added craftily.

I turned so suddenly that it was a miracle I didn't get a whiplash. Then I scowled. He had successfully aroused my attention at the mention of Pietro and Wanda. I had been planning to just stay like a log for the whole trip to our destination, but now it seemed impossible.

Pietro and Wanda were there. I could see them again.

Almost immediately, a thousand questions burst into my mind. Were they worried? Were they okay? What if Ultron had succeeded in brainwashing them and pulling them to his side? He would turn them into killing machines! What if -

I halted my thoughts abruptly. Why on earth was I suddenly thinking like an Avenger? No, no, no.

So it's true. You've finally began to think of Ultron as the enemy, a nasty little voice emerged from the back of my head.

"And why are we going there?" I questioned vigilantly.

"Ultron's going to evolve," said Clint, turning to look at me from the wheel. "He's going to create a body made of synthetic tissue, with the Vibranium he took from South Africa."

"I don't get the point," I admitted truthfully.

"He's going to make himself invulnerable," Natasha summarized for me.

"Thanks," I said, nodding appreciatively.

"But if he does succeed, he'll be more powerful than any of us," Austin said analytically. "Maybe... maybe all of us."

"Exactly. That's why we can't let him succeed," said Barton seriously.

~

We dropped Steve Rogers off on the roof of the laboratory. "Two minutes. Stay close," he said into his earpiece.

"Got it." Natasha was at the wheel, taking control of the Quinjet.

"Dr Cho!" Roger's voice exclaimed in my earpiece a minute later. I assumed that this 'Dr Cho' was an Asian scientist.

"He's uploading himself into the body," a fragile female's voice said weakly.

"Where?" Rogers asked.

There was a pause. Perhaps Dr Cho didn't know, but she continued hurriedly, "The real power is inside the Cradle." her voice was getting frailer by second. I had a horrible feeling that she was wounded badly – most probably caused by Ultron. "The gem, its power is uncontainable. You can't just blow it up. You have to get the Cradle to Stark."

"First I have to find it," said Rogers firmly.

"Go," Dr Cho insisted.

"Did you guys copy that?" Rogers questioned as he ran back outside into plain view.

"We did," Clint informed.

"I got a private jet taking off, no manifest. That could be him," Natasha notified.