Chapter 25: Isabelle

"You can kiss your wife", the registrar smiled at us and Chris didn't hesitate to pull me closer into a kiss. It was a short, sweet kiss on the lips that promised too much goodness to uphold.
"Congratulations on your marriage, Mr and Mrs Park", she smiled at us before handing over the marriage certificate.

I looked around, waiting for the second someone would try to storm in and interrupt this. Or the moment I'd wake up from the dream.
"You're alright, my love?", Chris whispered and cupped my face in his. His smile was glowing out of his eyes, he looked beyond happy that it almost made my heart ache. He deserved happiness. Out of all people, he did. "I just can't believe it's true. It feels like a dream", I whispered as I looked into his eyes, gazing into his brown kindness like it was the last time I'd ever see them. "It does. But it's true, we're married now", his smile grows even further and I can't help but mirror it. We pose for one picture that the registrar takes of us with Chan's phone before we walk out of the room, hand in hand.

Chris surprised me in the morning with the white dress. "I know it's not a spectacular wedding dress but I was told it was appropriate for signing the marriage license", he explained to me with a shy smile as he held up the white dress. "Chris....", I muttered out as I walked closer to it. "Maybe one day we can celebrate this with our loved ones", he pulled me into his embrace, pressing kisses over kisses onto my temple, cheek and lips. "Maybe", I whispered before I deepened his last lingering kiss.

The knee-length, white dress had fitted like a glove. I did my hair and makeup in the bathroom while Chris got ready. Paired up with the matching pumps, I waited in the hallway for him. "Is this a first-look setting?", he had asked when he saw me standing. "Maybe?", I shrugged my shoulders but couldn't shake off the smile on my face. "You look... wow, you look breathtaking, C", he whispered as he came closer, taking my hands in his. Our eyes met and they both began tearing up at the same time. "Are we doing this?", I had whispered. "If you're saying yes, we are", he whispered back.

It didn't take Chris a second to claim my lips with his once the front door was closed. Pressing me against the wall, I wrapped my arms around his broad shoulders as I kissed him back with the same intensity. Like it was the last time.

For the first time, we made love in the bedroom completely bare. I let Chris see my scars the night before and now he gently caressed his hand over them before diving deeper. Making me cry out.

"You're so beautiful", he whispered as we lay under the blanket, tangled in each other's arms. "My wife is beautiful", he kissed my forehead and I couldn't help myself but giggle. "Say it again, please?".
"My wife is the most beautiful person I've seen", he grinned and began peppering my face with kisses that made me squeal.

After a light dinner, we spent the rest of the evening in the living room. Chris put on one of his favourite pieces of vinyl and we were slow dancing to it, swaying in each other's arms.
The past and the horrors couldn't reach us at this moment. We were happy, truly happy and in love. The boy who had given me an identity when I was 5 years old allowed me to live. Not to breathe but to live. Alongside him. As a wife, as an equal to him.

Dancing in each other's arms, we did not notice how the guards' change routine was different from the ones before.

The reality started to sicker the day after.
The murder of Yahir.
My truth, my past.
Chris hadn't mentioned the paper he found to anyone in the office except Minho. Both of them were now additionally looking into the white pearl's associated contacts to get any information out.

"They train their assassins but they also hire them. There are some of the best that all organizations reach out to, they are almost infamously famous in their expertise", I had written on a note and passed it to Chris. The line between his eyebrows only deepened.

The day of the funeral came around. Chris and the rest of the guys had left earlier. Despite him assuring me to come along, that the family of the Lees didn't mind, I couldn't. It felt wrong for me to pay my last respects to him when I was certain that they killed him to send a message. To remind them that they were still around.
That King was still around.

"It's okay if you and the guys spend some time today afterwards. Or if some of you chose to grieve alone. It's going to be hard", I had said when I buttoned up his Chris' shirt. His hands were resting on my hips while I did so.
"Just... come back to me", I looked up at him. His head dipped and he leaned in to kiss me.
"I'll come back, Cerise Park. For you, I always will", he whispered against my lips.

The funeral the next day was set at 3 pm, but the weather getting colder resulted in the sun setting sooner too. By 7 pm the sky turned darker. The clouds were painted in pastels, decorating the sky in beautiful hues. Like a goodbye to a dear friend.

I saw the shadow of a figure walk through the garden when I was reading in the living room. Happy that Chris came home sooner than I expected him to, I skipped over to the front entrance to greet him with open arms and all the comfort he might need.

Only to face my biggest nightmare: "Missed me?", King grinned at me before all of a sudden, my whole world turned black before I could run away.