Epilogue

There was something magical about living on a small Greek island with a population so small that everyone knew each other so well, they could pass as family. The water was so blue that it looked like aquamarine was named after the ocean, dipped in its essence.

The people were incredibly welcoming to two strangers who had been stranded on the island, claiming they eloped because their families were against a marriage between them. "Star-crossed lovers!", they had exclaimed. Well, we used to stand on opposite sides, fueled to spy with the same intentions, didn't we?

A year had passed after the events of that night.

The night Stella was killed.
The night Chris found out about my truth.
The night Magnus was exposed to be a spy of the King.
The night King died by my hand.
The night I had killed for the last time.

As expected, I had days where my bloodlust for control was rising with each breath I took. Those were the days I sheltered myself in the house, excusing myself from any activity with the locals for being "sick". I'd scrip the house clean in an attempt to distract my mind. Some days Chris saw my hands trembling, my gaze lost in a daze. And we'd spend the day tangled in each other, coated in sweat as we explored each other's bodies like it was our last day.

Speaking of Chris, he entered the kitchen with the tomatoes he picked from the little garden in the front yard.

"Oh, that smells real nice", he hummed, putting the tomatoes down on the small kitchen counter before wrapping his arms around my waist from behind. "What's cooking, good looking?", he joked, burying his face in my neck. "I'm not confident enough to pronounce the name of the meal, shush", I laughed, pushing him away from me. "Just make the salad, would you? Jesse is going to be here any minute".

And that was right when the doorbell rang, notifying us of the arrival of the visitor.

Jesse had arrived on the island four months ago. The death of Yahir had worn him out greatly, his grief weighing on him so greatly that he found himself unable to work most days "How can I work when I need professional help dealing with the loss? I need a Break. For myself", he had told us when we saw him for the first time here. He had planned to stay for 3 months, trying to heal the wound that wouldn't stop bleeding. Now it had been 4 months and Jesse was relocating himself onto the island as well, intending to stay here for a longer time. His hollow cheeks slowly began to fill, the light in his eyes returning. You'd see him outside more often now. Evidence that he was getting better.

We all grieve on our terms and conditions but it was a great relief when you were allowed to grieve together with people who share the pain with you.

When we opened the door of the small house at the end of the town, we froze in surprise as we were greeted by not one but two people.
Next to Jesse, Manugs was standing.
As intimating as usual.

"I think we need more tomatoes for the salad, love", Chris mumbled as he stared at his best friend in front of him.

Magnus began explaining the whereabouts of the city we had left behind. The chaos, the rumours, the arrests, the protests.

"Perhaps you never had to leave A.C.C. but it was the better solution for you both to leave it behind... all the information you handed in about the white pearl was handy. But as you also predicted, the men who had the biggest dirt growing in their backyard were found dead. Some suicide, some homicide. The ones who are joining Greenaway behind bars barely had any power hold over the organization"

When I was arrested and brought into interrogation, I had two options. Letting the process wash over me and going into jail for the murders I had committed throughout my assassin life. Or I could pull the trigger truly a last time and burn everything down that I was dragged through. Bargaining my freedom with the filthy wealth of a handful of men.