002. moon river

when we got back to the house and everything was gone, i felt empty inside. i couldn't imagine how connie and jere were feeling... especially when their aunt julia made another appearance.

i don't get how someone can just show up one day and take everything away without even giving a warning. when julia blamed the anger on susannah, that's when connie got pissed.

he stormed out, and we all followed after him. even skye didn't know that their mom was going to do all that. then conrad got mad at them and we had to find somewhere else to stay.

jere thought about the club house, and cam said that's where we ended up going. everyone was in the club house when we started to split into teams. 

cam was about to show skye where the kitchen was when taylor said, "actually wait, can i come with you? i have some really specific snack requirements."

i knew exactly how to get her to spend time just with me because she's always been picky about what kind of things she sleeps on and whatnot. "uh-uh, taylor. no, you're coming with me. we'll fashion, like, blanket out of, like, curtains and shit."

"no, i'm on snack patrol right now," she told me. "okay. so? i need your loudest voice to scare away all the murderers." she laughed and said, "yeah, i'm team murderers." i forgot she was into listening to stuff about serial killer shit.

"okay, fine. no, i mean, as long as you're cool with, like, sleeping on, like, dusty polyester sheets," i replied. i knew i had her then.

"i hate you so much," she said, coming with me. "why do you need help with this? what do you need me for?" obviously i need her to be with me. instead of that annoying milo dude.

i smiled as we went to search and said, "i think you're the one who needs me. who else would've come with you to look for non-polyester sheets?"

i knew she was rolling her eyes as she said, "belly would've, obv. actually, maybe not right now, but that's not the point."

we wandered through the rooms and found where some of the people get ready, specifically looking for the lost and found.

"so much good stuff in here," said taylor. "huh," i said, walking in behind her. 

"what is this, like turkish bath towels and egyptian cotton robes? this is ridiculous," she said. "all right. all right, all right, go check the lost and found. see if there's any extra sweaters," i told her. it's cute when she gets distracted by random things, but we came here to get down to business.

she rummaged through the lost and found and immediately pulled out a black leather jacket. "um... wait..." she said, looking at it in the mirror. i smiled and laughed. "oh my god."

"i could legit be a hadid sister in this," she said with a priceless smile... and she wasn't half wrong. "i gotta take a photo, stop laughing. this is so cute," she said as i watched her take a pic with her phone.

"what, huh? new profile pic?" i asked, putting bunny ears behind her and putting my hands down. "no, it's for milo." she gently pushed my arm away and i said i was sorry.

"can you get out of it?" she asked with a smile. i bent down to pick up a bag and said, "yes, i'm out of it," with a laugh.

"who doesn't bother to come back for this stuff, anyway?" taylor asked. "people who tip really well," i said. "i mean, for them, losing something is just another excuse to get a better... something."

"i don't know how your mom didn't get all warped working here," taylor said. my mom used to work here in the summers some when she wasn't selling books much at first. "careful," i said, "that's almost a compliment."