Chapter One

Roman's P.O.V.

"Come on, Roman. It'll be fun," Patton says as he climbs out of his car.

"Says you," I say with a scoff.

I'd much rather eat ice cream and watch movies in my dorm. Although, ever since I broke up with my long-term boyfriend a couple of weeks ago, that's all I've been doing.

"Maybe you'll meet someone," Patton says kindly but hesitantly.

"Yeah. That'd be great. Meet someone, fall in love, and give my everything for three years, only for them to cheat, break my heart, and throw me away," I say sarcastically.

"Roman. You can't have a bad outlook on everyone because of what he did to you. It's not fair to you or anyone you meet," Patton tells me.

He's right. I know he's right. I'm just not ready to meet anyone. Not in my headspace. I need to work on myself. To stop being so 'clingy and annoying.' His words. I'm sure it's true. I sigh.

"Whatever, Pat. Tonight we're here for you and this Logan guy you've been telling me about. Can we just focus on that?" I finally respond.

"Alright. Do try and have fun, though," he tells me as we walk up to the club lounge called Deviant.

It's popular with those who go to my college, although I've never been. They have a bar, DJ, and live music that starts at 9 pm. Different bands play each day. Tonight is the day that this Logan guy and his band play. There are quite a bit of people already inside. It's 8:55 pm. Patton told me it was popular on Fridays because of Logan's band. The lead singer is really good, and all of the members are awesome with their instruments. Guess I'll find out if it's true.

We make our way inside and to the bar. We both order a drink. Patton is looking around. He seems disappointed after a moment. He looks back at the bar and takes a drink. Nothing alcoholic, unlike mine. He's driving.

"It's lively in here," I tell him.

"Yeah. I told you they were popular," he responds.

"Yes, you did," I say as I look around.

It's then I spot someone headed straight for us. I immediately recognize him. Patton has only shown me his social media photos every other day. I nod toward where he's coming from. Patton looks confused for a moment but turns to look. He brightly smiles when Logan approaches.

"Patton. You came," Logan says with a small smile.

"I did. This is my best friend, Roman," Patton says.

He gestures towards me.

"Good to finally meet you. Patton's told me a lot about you," I say and watch in amusement as my friend's face turns slightly red.

Logan notices as well and smiles fondly. Then he turns to me.

"It's good to finally meet you as well. Patton's also told me much about you," he says. Then he adds, "I'm glad the two of you came. We'll be going up in a few minutes."

"I'm looking forward to hearing your band play," Patton says with a smile.

"He is. Hasn't stopped talking about it since you invited him," I say with an amused smile at my friend.

"Roman!" Patton says with slight embarrassment.

I laugh lightly at my friend. After a moment, he smiles.

"I'm glad to hear it. I've been looking forward to you hearing us play," Logan says.

"Really?" Patton asks.