2. We Go Way Back

The Hard Deck was crowded, as usual. Maverick walks into the bar, passing a group of young aviators. He recognizes some faces from seeing their profiles earlier, but thankfully doesn't see Rooster. His attention is shifted when he hears the sweet voice of Penny Benjamin, a woman he hasn't seen in years. As Maverick goes on to talk to her, the group by the pool table get to talking.

"Fellas, this here's Bagman." A short, brunette woman introduces two guys to another pilot.

"Hangman." The muscular blond man corrects her.

"Whatever." She is quick to respond. The group continues to bicker and get to know each other.

"Who's he?" The girl seems to be the only one of the group to notice Bob, who is sitting in a chair eating peanuts.

Minutes later, the female pilot, Pheonix, gathers that Bob is her new backseater, this is one crazy ass mission considering the best of the best are here, and Hangman is still an asshole. When Pheonix looks up from the pool table, her eyes are met with no other than Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw making his big entrance.

Bradley was eager to go to the Hard Deck tonight, and not because he just got to Miramar. He knew everyone on this mission would be showing up the night before training starts, that's how it always is. On his drive up, he did wonder which pilots would be here, but mainly whether or not the girl he met at the gas station would show up. Ever since she drove away, he hasn't stopped thinking about her familiar bright green eyes and dark curls. Something about her confidence and the way she smiled seemed so recognizable, but he just couldn't put a finger on it. He wished he had asked for her number, or at least her name. Maybe he could get it tonight.

"Bradshaw! Is that you?" Pheonix greets him excitedly.

At that moment, Maverick regretted coming to the bar. He also starts to regret coming to Miramar at all. He steers his head away from Bradley's direction, hoping he doesn't notice him there.

"Much appreciated, Pops." Hangman nods toward Maverick as he gets another beer. Penny seems to enjoy watching Maverick's bill go up. It's what he gets for breaking bar etiquette.

"Bradshaw, as I live and breathe." Hangman makes his way towards Rooster, wanting to get a rise out of as many people as possible tonight.

"Hangman. You look...good."

"Well, I am good, Rooster." He grabs the pool stick from Bob and shoots a ball straight into the pocket with his eyes still on Bradley. "I'm very good. In fact, I am too good to be true."

The tension in the air is getting pretty thick.

"So, anyone know what this special detachment is all about?" Payback changes the subject, only to get yet another cocky remark from Hangman.

"No, missions a mission. What I wanna know is who's gonna be team leader, and which one of you all has what it takes to follow me."

Hangman looks directly at Rooster when he talks, making the other pilots feel like the air is getting thicker. The two of them really don't get along.

"Hangman, the only place you'll lead anyone is an early grave." Rooster smirks at him. The rest of the group seems a little off put by this statement, desperately needing someone to cut the tension.

"Anyone that follows you is just gonna run out of fuel. That's just you, Rooster. You're snug on that perch, waiting for the right moment...that never comes."